Should Insurance Cover Me

Bruneau

So my 2016 Chevy silverado 1500 developed and small fuel leak under the hood. I started the truck one morning and it was cold so I left it running to warm up. While I was inside the house is when it started leaking fuel. It was squirting fuel from the fuel line down to the exhaust manifold. Causing a lot of steam and smoke from the fuel hitting the exhaust manifold. I don't know how the truck didn't start in fire actually. Anyways I opened the cab door and it was filled with smoke and fumes it was coming through the vents. It was unbearable I couldn't even get in the truck

I instantly shut the truck off and called roadside assistance. They towed it to the dealership and fixed the fuel line. When I originally picked up the truck from the dealership, they had not even cleaned the inside of the truck. So it still stunk like it oringianlly did.

So I didn't take the truck cause I couldn't even get in the truck without getting high.they had the truck for 5 days. So I complained to them and they kept the truck and called GM to get approval to detail the truck and do an HVAC conditioner. Since then now they have done 3 details and and shampoos of the interior. Which I forgot to note I have cloth seats and carpet floors. So now I've taken the truck from the dealership because when I picked up it didn't smell like gas. But that's was quickly discovered to be false once the truck got warm on the inside. And now the interior smells like gasoline.

So I don't believe the they can fix the truck. So now I'm resorting to possible insurance claim. I have full coverage on my truck. Will this be covered under my policy. I believe the truck should be written off.
Help me please

I did call my insurance and they told me that I cannot put in a claim and that I have to deal with the manufacturer to get it fixed

You would be better off getting GM to address it as a warranty issue. I assume it was still under bumper to bumper warranty at the time it happened? A fuel link should not leak that soon.

It depends on the policy you have. A decent auto policy covers any nonexcluded, noncollision loss under Comprehensive (Other Than Collision) coverage. I doubt that you'd get a new truck form the insurance company. Where is the odor coming from? If it's embedded in the seat fabric, they might be replaced or reupholstered, though it's preferable that the dealer/manufacturer do that.

they have addressed it as a warranty Isssue. But have made several attempts to shampoo and Clean the truck and it still smells. The smell is just embedded in the fabric somewhere

You could try a comprehensive claim. You would be responsible for the deductible and as InsCommentary mentioned, they will probably just replace the seats and any other upholstery that holds the smell.

Were it me, I would call Chevy and try to get them to pay for it. I doubt anyone is going to buy you a new truck, although Chevy is definitely more likely to than your insurance.

I'm with the others on this. It's Chevy's problem. They should wholeheartedly replace the interior. It's a 2016 Chevy Silverado for crying out loud. Not cheap!

Many years ago I worked at a GM dealership. Back then, if you persist and had a legitimate issue, they would fix your problem. Its not like you are being unreasonable. I doubt any amount of shampooing will get rid of the smell. New seats, carpet and headliner are probably your only option. I know that ain't cheap... but its on them. Going the insurance route, if they did cover it...they may make you re-upholster, or go with used parts. Unlikely you get new anything. I would go through GM if it was me. Don't give in.

And yes, I have no idea how your truck didn't catch fire.

Latest posts

Back