Someone Rear Ended Me, How Do I Proceed?

BZou

Hey I live in New York City and some guy rear ended me and scratched up my bumper paint, not too serious, some scratches were kind of deep, others shallow. I told the guy hey look for $100 we can just let this go. The guy refused; since it wasn't too serious I was honestly thinking about just dropping it entirely rather than deal with the hassle but then this guy files a claim with his smartphone right away; although he gives me a claim number. I have absolutely no idea what he wrote. So now just to be safe I had to call for a police report; waited over two hours.

So my question is Do i contact his insurance company and provide the police report once it is available or do I first have to contact my own? Keep in mind this guy was speeding to change lanes and side swiped by rear bumper as he was merging into my lane. The police report is going to indicate this as well. Now I haven't been in accidents so I am clueless on how to proceed. Will this raise my premium even though it is absolutely not my fault?

Any information provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Call your agent and he will tell you what to do. If you don't have an agent but depend upon some distant call center here is why you should change.

You should always submit a claim just to cover you butt. In this case, you first want to file a claim with your company and email them the policy report. Let you company know you are going to file a claim with the other drivers insurance company and pursue that.
Call his/her company using his policy number or claim number, report your facts and policy report and let them know you want them to have a adjuster come look at your car to repair it. This is after they decide their driver is at fault. Typically with your type of accident it will not be a hard decision.
Now your life is easy, they will fix your car and you do not have to pay a deductible. When your company calls to follow up let them know to close the claim that the other party took care of it.

You should always submit a claim just to cover you butt. In this case, you first want to file a claim with your company and email them the policy report. Let you company know you are going to file a claim with the other drivers insurance company and pursue that.
Call his/her company using his policy number or claim number, report your facts and policy report and let them know you want them to have a adjuster come look at your car to repair it. This is after they decide their driver is at fault. Typically with your type of accident it will not be a hard decision.
Now your life is easy, they will fix your car and you do not have to pay a deductible. When your company calls to follow up let them know to close the claim that the other party took care of it.

In NY, filing a claim with your company, even if you're not arty fault, can raise your rates. Always start with their company first and only use yours if theirs won't do anything

Believe it or not, using an agent is a hell of a lot more convienent than using a online forum. Just saying ...

Back