To SR-1 or Not SR-1?!

Thank you DawnPatrol!

OK, State Farm SoCal agent here.

The SR1 form is basically just notifying the DMV that YOUR car that was in the accident has insurance.

That's it. If you don't have any info about the other party you don't fill it out. Its the responsibility of the other driver to notify the DMV that his car had insurance.

The DMV doesn't care who was at fault, just that the vehicles had insurance. If no notification of that they will start a suspension of the vehicle registration.

We have a form letter that we include when we send it to our insured that makes it very easy to do. We at our office fill out the verification of the insurance part

BTW I think the new threshold is $1000

ok so I was in an accident where the damages to the other car were less than 750.. i dont have full coverage so technically i dont have to report the damages to my car. so my question is, why is my claims agent telling me i have to fill out a sr1 form. i understand its to notify the dmv the car had insurance. but if the TOTAL DAMAGES *reported* are only the other car's why should i notify the dmv. i SELL insurance , i am not too familiar with claims but one thing i know for a fact is the dmv records accidents so insurance companies will rate u higher. so what should i do?

he tried to scare me saying my license will be suspended because i dont report but if the damages reported are less than 750, i see no reason why i should notify the dmv.

Hello, I got involved in minor accident- I was driving my friends car on a full stop and got rear ended. I was sent the SR1E form by DMV- my question who's policy # and insurance info do i write on the form.

thanks

I have a similar question: I totaled my car. No one else was involved and the only damage done was to my car. Do I need to file an SR 1?

Back