SR-22 Insurance, Best Way to Report It for Lowest Rate Increase?

tudobemlv

Last year, I got a flat tire on the FWY and pulled over to wait for towing. (jack is missing).

While I was waiting, police pulled over, did the random checks... long story short, I wasn't driving, but I left my keys in the ignition, and I blew .002 over the limit, so I was charged with a DUI.

With a lawyer, I had it reduced to a reckless driving conviction, and in order to reinstate my DL, I need to have SR-22 insurance.

From what I've read- auto insurance companies may or may not raise the rate, and the magnitude varies, depending on the circumstance.

What is the best way to report this to my insurance company, with the minimal rate increases?

Cos the whole charge doesn't even stem from my driving- until this point I've had a spotless record, no tickets, so what do I tell my insurance company when they ask why I need SR22?

Don't report it to your insurance company. They will find out on their own, but it may take a while.

It will have no impact till the policy renews, at the earliest, just don't let your policy lapse. Don't shop your insurance till you see your premium increase, then shop it.

May or may not raise the rate???? Not sure where you heard that, but it is simply wrong. When they know about it, they will raise the rate, period. They have to wait till policy renewal though.

Reckless driving cures faster than a DUI, but both have the same initial impact on your insurance rates.

Dan

Don't report it to your insurance company. They will find out on their own, but it may take a while.

It will have no impact till the policy renews, at the earliest, just don't let your policy lapse. Don't shop your insurance till you see your premium increase, then shop it.

But if I don't report it, then I can't get my license back! Driving without a license has some stiff penalties, doesnt it?

He means only report to your agent/company that you require an SR22 filing, and not mention the reckless opp charge.

most companies will catch it anyways, but not all of them will. you may be able to fly under the radar for a while.

He means only report to your agent/company that you require an SR22 filing, and not mention the reckless opp charge.

most companies will catch it anyways, but not all of them will. you may be able to fly under the radar for a while.

Had some guy come in that had been an additional insured on his parents policy on a truck they didn't even drive (didn't live with them either). Allstate would only run credit/history on the two primary insureds and so the guy paid practically nothing for insurance for three years with a fresh DUI. What a con.

Correct. I would think adding an SR-22 to a policy would be an immediate flag to the insurance company to pull the driving record on the next renewal. I've been amazed at how many don't and you can go for a while under the radar.

That said, most will use the SR-22 addition as a flag to run the driving record, so it doesn't always work, but I've had a few insureds only get rated for the DUI on the last year of the 3. Timing is everything.

Dan

Dumbass for driving drunk and now you worry about your rates. you suck

Red Blooded American said:
Dumbass for driving drunk and now you worry about your rates. you suck

He wasn't driving. He was parked alongside the road with a flat tire. How do you know he didn't have a party while he was waiting for help?

He wasn't driving. He was parked alongside the road with a flat tire. How do you know he didn't have a party while he was waiting for help?

Speaking from personal experience, I usually decide to crack open a cold one when changing a flat tire. That's why I have a cooler in my trunk with fresh beer always iced and ready to go.

Back