SR22 Situation

Foreclosure

Expert
Hello,

I hope you auto insurance agent can help me out with this situation.

My brother got a DUI when he was 19 in California, and his driving license was taken away. He paid the fine, attend the classes (but did not complete) since he moved over here to MI. Now he wants to get his license back and according to California's DMV, he needs to submit a SR22 form to them, and they'll release his license to him. Not until then, he wont be able to get his license in MI.

How would this work? A SR22 to California DMV to release his driving license to Michigan's SOS, then get another SR22 in MI in order to get his driving license?

He does not own a vehicle and now is turning 21, and has a full time job. He really need his driving privilege to be reinstated. If any agent in here who have experience in this type of situation can lend a hand, I'll truly appreciate it.

You can contact me at [email protected]

Thank you

This is a more common problem than you might realize. It happens a lot when people are on vacation and get a DUI out of state.

The easiest thing to do is to work with a carrier that writes in both CA and MI. They can submit both SR-22's (its really only one, submitted twice). It's not that hard.

I highly suggest using an agent for this, rather than a call-center.

Dan

I understand your brothers situation,it happens to my
clients all the time.You can contact Progressive 800 876 5581 they issue both MI and CA,just confirmed it for you.

Still confused. He does not have a vehicle, so how can he get insurance? Or just a liability insurance to prove to the state that if something happens, it's cover?

Any agent in here experienced in this? Rather talk to someone than a call center.

Thanks

If he doesn't have an auto, what he needs is a "non-owner's" policy. An SR22 can be added to that. ;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rick, please stop with the rude, ignorance.

Last edited:
Still confused. He does not have a vehicle, so how can he get insurance? Or just a liability insurance to prove to the state that if something happens, it's cover?

Any agent in here experienced in this? Rather talk to someone than a call center.

Thanks

different carriers call it different things, "named non-owner", "non-owner". Something to that degree. It covers them when the get in any vehicle basically

Yes, I've done this several times with non-owner policies. Not a problem.

Dan

Back