Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Reply to Sr22     
Old 12-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

State: Fdetrana is an Insurance Agent from
Sr22 Re: Sr22 Fdetrana is the thread starter for: Sr22

Through breatheasy. It's inexpensive because the rate is locked before the conviction and license suspension.

----------

So basically there's nothing illegal about writing an sr22 non owner for someone who owns vehicles I take it?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
Guru
BlockO on Sr22

State: BlockO is an Insurance Agent from Ohio
BlockO is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Sr22 Re: Sr22
Originally Posted by Fdetrana View Post
Through breatheasy. It's inexpensive because the rate is locked before the conviction and license suspension.

----------

So basically there's nothing illegal about writing an sr22 non owner for someone who owns vehicles I take it?
nope. nothing illegal about it. they just won't pay a claim on an owned vehicle, if you were to hit somebody..... so you'll have to make sure you keep a separate regular auto policy active as well.

Dan Lyles
Lyles Insurance

Serving Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Virginia and West Virginia.
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-23-2016, 03:57 AM   #13

Originally Posted by BlockO View Post
nope. nothing illegal about it. they just won't pay a claim on an owned vehicle, if you were to hit somebody..... so you'll have to make sure you keep a separate regular auto policy active as well.
I have USAA active as well, but could USAA not pay a claim because I didn't tell them I needan sr22 or is that not my duty to tell them? Thank you.

----------

???? I just need to know if USAA would try to back out of a claim cause I went and got a second policy to get my license back rather than notify them and ask them for an sr22?

----------

I'm leaning to asking USAA for the sr22 as they won't charge and waiting till Apr for my current policy to run out that's when they'll drop me and then getting a new sr22 owner plan? Unless USAA would be guaranteed to cover me even with me having a second non owner plan sr22 that they didn't know about.
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #14
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
It gets complicated when you have 2 policies, but usually the non-owner policy provides NO coverage on a vehicle you own, so the policy that lists both the driver and the car will be primary.

Its far more complicated if you get into an accident when you are in a rental car or a friends car. This will cause them to argue who is primary and who is secondary.

Technically, you are obligated to tell USAA, but there is no penalty if you don't. Asking for an SR-22 will assure you of a rate increase (or potentially a non-renewal) on the next renewal. It might not be anywhere near as much as you think though, except, as a major violation, its an automatic loss of the good driver discount which is usually around 30-35% of the premium.

I recommend just biting the bullet and using USAA, but am always interested if they miss the DUI on the renewal.

Dan
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #15
Guru

State: ginniferhadley is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
I've been with USAA for over 10 years with no tickets but now have gotten a DUI. I'm not going to report the dui to USAA and shop for a secondary non owner policy with the minimum liability coverage possible just to get the sr22 to get my license back. Does this sound like the cheapest way to go about it? I'm only paying like 50 a month for full coverage with USAA. I know my policy doesn't renew for 6 months and even then USAA may not even check my driving record? Thanks
What does your insurance agent say about it?

Shawn Camp Insurance Agency, Inc.
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #16

Originally Posted by ginniferhadley View Post
What does your insurance agent say about it?
ive gotten conflicting answers. One is telling me USAA would not cover me if they found out I had an sr22 through another company. If I knew they would have to cover me regardless I would just get a non owner sr22 to get my license back license back. Just to play it safe I'm leaning towards reporting it to them and finishing my policy until March then if it really does up like more than 40-50% then I'll shop for a non preferred less expensive policy.
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #17
Guru
VolAgent on Sr22

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
ive gotten conflicting answers. One is telling me USAA would not cover me if they found out I had an sr22 through another company. If I knew they would have to cover me regardless I would just get a non owner sr22 to get my license back license back. Just to play it safe I'm leaning towards reporting it to them and finishing my policy until March then if it really does up like more than 40-50% then I'll shop for a non preferred less expensive policy.
Find your policy and read it.

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #18

These are the reasons for cancellation or non renewal.

* Non-payment of premium.
* Suspended or revoked driver's license..
* Fraudulent claim.
* Material misrepresentation of rating or underwriting information.
* Substantial Increase in the risk of hazard.

----------

This makes it look like they would drop me as soon as I asked for an sr22?

----------

I had an insurance agent tell me they couldn't drop my by law until the policy was up if I asked for an sr22?
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 12-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #19

Originally Posted by djs View Post
It gets complicated when you have 2 policies, but usually the non-owner policy provides NO coverage on a vehicle you own, so the policy that lists both the driver and the car will be primary.

Its far more complicated if you get into an accident when you are in a rental car or a friends car. This will cause them to argue who is primary and who is secondary.

Technically, you are obligated to tell USAA, but there is no penalty if you don't. Asking for an SR-22 will assure you of a rate increase (or potentially a non-renewal) on the next renewal. It might not be anywhere near as much as you think though, except, as a major violation, its an automatic loss of the good driver discount which is usually around 30-35% of the premium.

I recommend just biting the bullet and using USAA, but am always interested if they miss the DUI on the renewal.

Dan
If they miss the dui they are still obligated to pay any claims on the account right?
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Old 02-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #20
Expert
lukifer on Sr22

State: lukifer is an Insurance Agent from Alabama
These are the reasons for cancellation or non renewal.

* Non-payment of premium.
* Suspended or revoked driver's license..
* Fraudulent claim.
* Material misrepresentation of rating or underwriting information.
* Substantial Increase in the risk of hazard.

----------

This makes it look like they would drop me as soon as I asked for an sr22?

----------

I had an insurance agent tell me they couldn't drop my by law until the policy was up if I asked for an sr22?
ugh... this is messy. Seems like you are playing legal system vs. insurance system.

Not that I'm a pro at SR22 stuff... but the way I read it is:

Let's say you have an accident. USAA is doesn't know about the DUI, but finds out during the claims process that it is on there and you failed to report it. Per the policy, it can be cancelled due to :"Material misrepresentation of rating or underwriting information."

DUIs, last time I checked, is underwriting information. Not reporting it to them could be "material misrepresentation", especially if they found out you bought an SR22 non-owned auto policy instead of reporting it.

In theory, USAA could back date the cancellation of the policy, leaving you uninsured for the claim... and leaving you uninsured on your SR22 requirement, which could really bite you...

Again... that's just how I see it... would love to have one of the senior P&C guys weigh in.
  Reply With Quote to Sr22
Reply to Sr22 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum