Sr22

Through breatheasy. It's inexpensive because the rate is locked before the conviction and license suspension.

----------

So basically there's nothing illegal about writing an sr22 non owner for someone who owns vehicles I take it?

Through breatheasy. It's inexpensive because the rate is locked before the conviction and license suspension.

----------

So basically there's nothing illegal about writing an sr22 non owner for someone who owns vehicles I take it?

nope. nothing illegal about it. they just won't pay a claim on an owned vehicle, if you were to hit somebody..... so you'll have to make sure you keep a separate regular auto policy active as well.

nope. nothing illegal about it. they just won't pay a claim on an owned vehicle, if you were to hit somebody..... so you'll have to make sure you keep a separate regular auto policy active as well.

I have USAA active as well, but could USAA not pay a claim because I didn't tell them I needan sr22 or is that not my duty to tell them? Thank you.

----------

???? I just need to know if USAA would try to back out of a claim cause I went and got a second policy to get my license back rather than notify them and ask them for an sr22?

----------

I'm leaning to asking USAA for the sr22 as they won't charge and waiting till Apr for my current policy to run out that's when they'll drop me and then getting a new sr22 owner plan? Unless USAA would be guaranteed to cover me even with me having a second non owner plan sr22 that they didn't know about.

It gets complicated when you have 2 policies, but usually the non-owner policy provides NO coverage on a vehicle you own, so the policy that lists both the driver and the car will be primary.

Its far more complicated if you get into an accident when you are in a rental car or a friends car. This will cause them to argue who is primary and who is secondary.

Technically, you are obligated to tell USAA, but there is no penalty if you don't. Asking for an SR-22 will assure you of a rate increase (or potentially a non-renewal) on the next renewal. It might not be anywhere near as much as you think though, except, as a major violation, its an automatic loss of the good driver discount which is usually around 30-35% of the premium.

I recommend just biting the bullet and using USAA, but am always interested if they miss the DUI on the renewal.

Dan

What does your insurance agent say about it?

ive gotten conflicting answers. One is telling me USAA would not cover me if they found out I had an sr22 through another company. If I knew they would have to cover me regardless I would just get a non owner sr22 to get my license back license back. Just to play it safe I'm leaning towards reporting it to them and finishing my policy until March then if it really does up like more than 40-50% then I'll shop for a non preferred less expensive policy.

ive gotten conflicting answers. One is telling me USAA would not cover me if they found out I had an sr22 through another company. If I knew they would have to cover me regardless I would just get a non owner sr22 to get my license back license back. Just to play it safe I'm leaning towards reporting it to them and finishing my policy until March then if it really does up like more than 40-50% then I'll shop for a non preferred less expensive policy.

Find your policy and read it.

These are the reasons for cancellation or non renewal.

* Non-payment of premium.
* Suspended or revoked driver's license..
* Fraudulent claim.
* Material misrepresentation of rating or underwriting information.
* Substantial Increase in the risk of hazard.

----------

This makes it look like they would drop me as soon as I asked for an sr22?

----------

I had an insurance agent tell me they couldn't drop my by law until the policy was up if I asked for an sr22?

It gets complicated when you have 2 policies, but usually the non-owner policy provides NO coverage on a vehicle you own, so the policy that lists both the driver and the car will be primary.

Its far more complicated if you get into an accident when you are in a rental car or a friends car. This will cause them to argue who is primary and who is secondary.

Technically, you are obligated to tell USAA, but there is no penalty if you don't. Asking for an SR-22 will assure you of a rate increase (or potentially a non-renewal) on the next renewal. It might not be anywhere near as much as you think though, except, as a major violation, its an automatic loss of the good driver discount which is usually around 30-35% of the premium.

I recommend just biting the bullet and using USAA, but am always interested if they miss the DUI on the renewal.

Dan

If they miss the dui they are still obligated to pay any claims on the account right?

These are the reasons for cancellation or non renewal.

* Non-payment of premium.
* Suspended or revoked driver's license..
* Fraudulent claim.
* Material misrepresentation of rating or underwriting information.
* Substantial Increase in the risk of hazard.

----------

This makes it look like they would drop me as soon as I asked for an sr22?

----------

I had an insurance agent tell me they couldn't drop my by law until the policy was up if I asked for an sr22?

ugh... this is messy. Seems like you are playing legal system vs. insurance system.

Not that I'm a pro at SR22 stuff... but the way I read it is:

Let's say you have an accident. USAA is doesn't know about the DUI, but finds out during the claims process that it is on there and you failed to report it. Per the policy, it can be cancelled due to :"Material misrepresentation of rating or underwriting information."

DUIs, last time I checked, is underwriting information. Not reporting it to them could be "material misrepresentation", especially if they found out you bought an SR22 non-owned auto policy instead of reporting it.

In theory, USAA could back date the cancellation of the policy, leaving you uninsured for the claim... and leaving you uninsured on your SR22 requirement, which could really bite you...

Again... that's just how I see it... would love to have one of the senior P&C guys weigh in.

I understand. When the do raise my rates will be when I shop around or discuss the cost of staying with them with their own sr22.

----------

One other thing I understand 1 point falls off your record every 18 months so will my rates begin to get better after 18 months? So if I flew under the radar for 1 year then I would only have 6 months of 2 points on my record?

Just FYI in California a DUI now stays on your record for 10 years. You cannot be "pointed" for it after three years but you cannot get the CA good drivers discount for 10 years and preferred carriers won't write you without being CA good driver. It is one of the things the state put into effect to make the punishment worse even for first offenders.

Last edited:
Back