Is It True that Insurance Will No Pay if You Leave the Keys in the Ignition and It Gets Stolen?

While I get the irony and I agree with your point, sometimes the sports guys know more about the weather than these weather men...

well... in that case, the Yankees are screwed this year,
just like last year and the year before! more millions
down the drain.

:(

----------

Someone stole a Prius? :D:D:D

it's a popular car, so I imagine the market for stolen Prius parts is there.... :(

AS a former Auto Adjuster, I can tell you that in Canada, our insurers cover cars stolen with the keys left in them and running.
You have to make a police report of the theft, but other than that, its covered. I don't know how all the policies are written in the U.S and they vary state to state but I imagine its very similar.

Yes insurance covers stupidity. Take the case of a driver who threw his cigarette out his window and it flew back in through the back window, setting his back seat on fire. COVERED. No deductible.

so what if an insured driver decides to fire up a joint.... and moments later drops a roach in his lap, causing 2nd degree burns on his nut satchel.....

can he file a medical payments claim without having an accident?

so what if an insured driver decides to fire up a joint.... and moments later drops a roach in his lap, causing 2nd degree burns on his nut satchel.....

can he file a medical payments claim without having an accident?

Pretty sure that driving while under the influence (illegal drug or alcohol) would be a policy violation. Having said that, even if it was a cigarette, the driver must show that operating the motor vehicle was the cause of their injuries.

Thank goodness!!!! my policyholders would burn up my loss ratio faster than that joint burnt!

LOL, I just started as an Insurance Broker in Ontario in January. Having the claims adjuster background is helping immensely. Being able to give real life claims examples and offering claims advice is a huge selling feature.

Thank goodness!!!! my policyholders would burn up my loss ratio faster than that joint burnt!

Are you an insurance agent? If so, are you saying that the losses and claims of your clients affect you personally? Do the insurance companies keep track based on the agents who sold the policies? Doesn't seem very fair to me, as you have no control over how your clients conduct their daily lifes. Or are you supposed to weed out the clients first?

All of my insurance policies were purchased directly from the insurance companies, so I don't know how that works.

As for my original question about key in the stolen car, I chatted with my insurance company's adjuster who had a tiny office inside the car dealership. She said that the key made no difference. She did advise me that local laws do not allow drivers to leave the keys in the ignition with the engine running... the cops can issue a $50 ticket. It's intent is to lower the car theft rate in my area, so I can understand it. :)

Back