Is It True that Insurance Will No Pay if You Leave the Keys in the Ignition and It Gets Stolen?

badkitty

Expert
Is it true that insurance will no pay if you leave the keys in the ignition and it gets stolen? For example, not shutting off the engine while getting a soda at 7-Eleven... or letting the car warm up in the driveway. I know people shouldn't do either of those things, but I'm sure many people do it anyway.

If a car is stolen in those situations, can the insurance companies deny claims?

I've heard many conflicting opinions, but never an actual answer based on facts.

I started thinking about it when I read a news article recently. Apparently, the famous figure skater Michelle Kwan had her Toyota Prius stolen with the key inside the vehicle. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Anyone knows what the real answer is? Do insurance companies pay? (assuming you have comprehensive coverage that covers theft to begin with)

Thanks!

Why not do it, and put a sign on the window saying steal my car...keys are in the ignition and find out. Be sure to let us know the outcome.

Why not do it, and put a sign on the window saying steal my car...keys are in the ignition and find out. Be sure to let us know the outcome.

no way! I still use steering wheel lock and gearshifter lock whenever I get out of my car.... when parked in "unsafe" neighborhoods, I move the driver's seat as far forward as possible and remove the power seat fuse.(as well as the fuses to the fuel pump and the electrical power steering) I also have a bright yellow wheel clamp, but fortunately I haven't had a need to use it yet. :)

I merely want to know what the insurance companies do... since it's not mentioned in my policy. However, I keep reading these news articles that say insurance companies don't pay if your leave the keys inside.(such as the skater Michelle Kwan case)

I'm not aware of the outcome of Michelle Kwan's claim. did they deny the entire claim or just part of it?

asking because there were some other circumstances going on there:

- the same vehicle was reported stolen 2-3 months prior.

- there was no sign of forced entry the first time (I'm not sure about the 2nd).

- inside the vehicle was a hockey stick signed by Wayne Gretzky.

- not that it matters, but the keys weren't left in the ignition the 2nd time. her husband (who's running for Governor, btw) claims he dropped the keys between the seats, and in a haste, gave up looking for them.

as far as answering your original question, I'm not really sure. but I would assume that unless leaving the keys in the car is specifically excluded under the comprehensive terms, a stolen car is a stolen car.

Last edited:
no way! I still use steering wheel lock and gearshifter lock whenever I get out of my car.... when parked in "unsafe" neighborhoods, I move the driver's seat as far forward as possible and remove the power seat fuse.(as well as the fuses to the fuel pump and the electrical power steering) I also have a bright yellow wheel clamp, but fortunately I haven't had a need to use it yet. :)

I call BS, no way you do this everytime you leave your car....SMDH

I call BS, no way you do this everytime you leave your car....SMDH

didn't I make it clear that I only do this in bad neighborhoods? i.e. whenever I drive into Manhattan or Brooklyn? (no offense to folks who have no choice but to live there)

I would suggest getting help from an unbiased financial adviser regarding the same. DO NOT ASK YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY.

Great advice! While you're at it, you might as well ask the local weather man what stocks you should invest in.... and maybe ask the sports anchor what tomorrow's pollen levels are going to be like.

Great advice! While you're at it, you might as well ask the local weather man what stocks you should invest in.... and maybe ask the sports anchor what tomorrow's pollen levels are going to be like.

While I get the irony and I agree with your point, sometimes the sports guys know more about the weather than these weather men...

Back