UBER and Accidents in the State of Georgia

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
I am about to ask a question regarding two things I know nothing about: UBER, and auto accidents.

Met a man yesterday afternoon who drives for UBER, but was concerned about an accident he just got in. Both cars were damaged, no one was hurt, and he was ticketed with failure to yield at a stop sign.

This is his only accident, and he is not sure if he should let UBER know about it or not. His car is not driveable, the other car was driveable.

That's all I know about it. Told him I would ask on the forum. It is in the state of Georgia.

It depends on whether or not he was logged onto the app at the time of the accident. If he wasn't logged on the app at the time of the accident then Uber doesn't need to be involved. His private insurance should cover the accident. But if he was on the app when the accident happened and he was in Period 2 or 3 then he needs to tell Uber since he will be covered by Ubers blanket policy through James River. If he was in Period 1 then he will not be covered unless he has ride share insurance. To clarify, P1 is when he has the app on but he has not accepted a ride. P2 is when he has the app on, accepted a ride and is in route pick up the passenger. P3 is when he has the app on, accepted a ride, has a passenger in the car and is on his way to their destination.

Last edited:
It depends on whether or not he was logged onto the app at the time of the accident. If he wasn't logged on the app at the time of the accident then Uber doesn't need to be involved. His private insurance should cover the accident. But if he was on the app when the accident happened and he was in Period 2 or 3 then he needs to tell Uber since he will be covered by Ubers blanket policy through James River. If he was in Period 1 then he will not be covered unless he has ride share insurance. To clarify, P1 is when he has the app on but he has not accepted a ride. P2 is when he has the app on, accepted a ride but has not picked up the passenger and P3 is when he has the app on, accepted a ride, has a passenger in the car and is on his way to their destination.

Thanks. I will pass this along to him.

Back