Uber and Personal Auto Insurance?

buynsellinsuran

Thanks in advance, but is it possible for someone to drive 'passengers' in their personal auto and NOT have to get commercial auto insurance (which can run into many thousands per year?)

Can they just drive passengers on their current personal auto insurance policy?

Thanks again and all the best!

Can you? Sure, I guess.

You can also pirate movies, but it might come back to bite you in the butt later.

I don't know much about Uber, but they'd be leaving themselves wide open to all kinds of issues if it wasn't in their contract with drivers that livery insurance was required. Maybe they don't, but if they do have a clause in there somewhere, youd be violating your contract.

You'd also be guilty of something called fraud, as on EVERY personal auto policy I've ever seen, the insured is required to agree they do not use the vehicle for business use or for hire/livery. Your best case scenario when they find out is you get cancelled or non-renewed. Worst case is you're guilty of fraud, coverage is voided, you have a lapse in coverage to explain to the DMV, etc.

Thanks in advance, but is it possible for someone to drive 'passengers' in their personal auto and NOT have to get commercial auto insurance (which can run into many thousands per year?)

Can they just drive passengers on their current personal auto insurance policy?

Thanks again and all the best!

I am an approved Uber drive... They have their own policy, I believe it is $1 million when driving for Uber pickups / drop offs.

I believe they are primary during the times you are driving.

I think carriers are starting to address this issue. There are companies now will accept drivers work for Uber. There is still no coverage when the car is transporting passengers. If Uber's own policy picks up the gap, then it may be all good.

Its a complicated thing and I don't know all of the ins and outs, but Uber does carry blanket coverage while there are passengers in the car.

Problem is, once you are 'in the app', available for service, I'm not sure their policy covers you and since you are now driving for business, there may be a gap in your own policy as well.

I know Uber has addressed some of this, I just don't know the ins and outs of it all.

Dan

Thanks in advance, but is it possible for someone to drive 'passengers' in their personal auto and NOT have to get commercial auto insurance (which can run into many thousands per year?) Can they just drive passengers on their current personal auto insurance policy? Thanks again and all the best!

I just got a letter from my auto carrier saying that my state is now requiring carriers to extend UMBI for this unless they opt out next year..... Sounds like a possible paperwork nightmare for me!!

Back