Uber Personal Auto Policies

FLagent00

Expert
Hello everyone. I am curious about the state of personal auto policies for Uber drivers. (Lyft too, haven't dealt with them though). Many auto insurance carriers are shying away from this because they do not yet understand how the Uber BAP co-exists with the drivers PAPs. I am guessing it is a matter of time until they sit back and see what the courts do about it. In the mean time, Uber drivers are lying about the fact that they use their personal auto as a part time business.

As more and more people become Uber drivers, there is a stronger need for PAPs for these people and there is no carrier out there willing to cover them. Does anyone know of any company that is competitive, or actively pursuing Uber driver PAPs? I can't find any and it seems like a huge opportunity.

Progressive just started writing them on there Progressive commercial auto livery program (in Tennessee). Haven't tried it yet as I use Berkshire for mine currently. I highly doubt a personal auto carrier will jump on anything of the nature knowingly. In fact, I have noticed a few personal auto carriers have added the question about Uber to their app.

It will most likely need to be written as commercial. I was told by a State Farm agent that if the policyholder is an Uber driver, his policy will NOT cover the time that he is driving/logged into the Uber app. So if there is an incident, there is no coverage. However, the policy is in effect while he is not acting as a livery.

Correct. most policies exclude coverage while being used to provide transportation for profit

It will most likely need to be written as commercial. I was told by a State Farm agent that if the policyholder is an Uber driver, his policy will NOT cover the time that he is driving/logged into the Uber app. So if there is an incident, there is no coverage. However, the policy is in effect while he is not acting as a livery.

Well, Uber covers them with their own policy which is primary. It takes place when the driver accepts a ride request. It seems that PAP carriers are using this as an exploit to deny coverage even when the vehicle is not in commercial use. They can do this because the uber drivers didn't come clean when answering the question about commercial use on the app... Because they would have denied them. I think these auto carriers are missing out on some great business

Back