Uninsured Bodily Injury

lorrieduke

Expert
I was a passenger in a vehicle that was hit by someone who ran a stop sign. The person who hit us may not have coverage. The vehicle I was in has full coverage including uninsured motorist bodily injury. Will they pay my medical bills? I mean the insurance company covering the vehicle I was in. And what about pain and suffering? I broke two ribs. I'm unemployed so no loss of work but my quality of life's been in the toilet since it happened. Can't sleep, can't hardly walk or move. Just breathing hurts.

I was a passenger in a vehicle that was hit by someone who ran a stop sign. The person who hit us may not have coverage. The vehicle I was in has full coverage including uninsured motorist bodily injury. Will they pay my medical bills? I mean the insurance company covering the vehicle I was in. And what about pain and suffering? I broke two ribs. I'm unemployed so no loss of work but my quality of life's been in the toilet since it happened. Can't sleep, can't hardly walk or move. Just breathing hurts.

Get an attorney. Repeat, get an attorney.

"May have"... and to find out you only need to pay an attorney 33% of your settlement rather than finding out yourself.

If you don't own a vehicle then you would probably get UMBI from the vehicle you were in. I don't know of any state that would not allow this. So owner's carrier acts as if they are the other person's carrier. They would consider your related medical expenses and pain and suffering.

I'm guessing since you know the vehicle has UMBI that you would also know if it had P.I.P.

UMBI would be offered as a one time payment to settle the entire claim. So you need to understand what your treatment is going to be, past present and future. Are you looking for work now? If so, you may want to continue to look. If you find a job but cannot start when they want you to start because of your injury then loss wages would probably also be owed.

You seem to have access to the owners coverage information. My guess is they are willing to share this with you. Find out what the UMBI policy limit is. It might be the state minimum and night be something like $15,000 or $20,000. If so, you'd make a demand for the limits. If they offer the limits then you just saved yourself 33% of the limit by not paying an attorney for the hour it would take to ask.

If you don't have health insurance, see about getting the medical providers to reduce their bills just prior to settlement with the UMBI carrier. They can usually be settled at 50% of the billing rate.

Thank you ToddC. These are the answers I was looking for. Can you please tell me what P.I.P is? I'm weary about collecting from the policy on the vehicle I was in because this is my friend of 38 yrs. and don't want to stir up any problems in our relationship. Although I don't see how that would happen. My claim would be seperate from hers and I doubt her premium would increase since the accident was not her fault.

Thank you ToddC. These are the answers I was looking for. Can you please tell me what P.I.P is? I'm weary about collecting from the policy on the vehicle I was in because this is my friend of 38 yrs. and don't want to stir up any problems in our relationship. Although I don't see how that would happen. My claim would be seperate from hers and I doubt her premium would increase since the accident was not her fault.

Here is what I think. They ain't much of a friend if a claim like this would stir things up. This may be a case where you have to file against your friend and then their insurance company goes after the other party.

If I asked for the max on their UMBI would it affect rates? I'm talking about my friend and the vehicle I was in? The accident wasn't her fault so would asking for the limits of her policy affect her future premiums?

If I asked for the max on their UMBI would it affect rates? I'm talking about my friend and the vehicle I was in? The accident wasn't her fault so would asking for the limits of her policy affect her future premiums?

Based upon what I know it should not.

Just talked to my girl friend who's vehicle I was in. She said her UMBI is only $25,000 a person, $50,000 for more than one person. I called the hospital and they tell me my bill is $12,810 and that's not including the ambulance ride, emergency room physician and the radiologist charges. Now let's pretend the other vehicles insurance says it's a covered accident.. Could I collect from both policies? I mean my girl friends insurance is probably going to only cover the actual medical bills.. Could I get pain and suffering from the other vehicles policy or vice versa?

Back