Uninsured Driver, Minor Accident with No Police Report.

dfo

I was involved in a very minor accident which wasn't my fault. I drove a rental car in Los Angeles and some guy cut in front of me scratching my bumper. We both pulled over and he acted like I was the one to blame. I ignored it and called the police, they said they don't report this kind of accidents.

We exchanged the names, license #'s and other info. I have no auto insurance because I ride a motorcycle, but I had a damage waiver from the rental company. I called them and they told me to bring the car whenever I'm done with it. I had 3 witnesses in my car.

Few weeks later I got a letter from the rental company, they wanted me to pay $500 for the repair, but waived it when I pointed out I had the damage waiver. A month later I received some shady call demanding that I provide my auto insurance, I said I didn't have one. Few days later I got a letter from Claims Resource Services demanding that I pay $2400 - clearly exaggerated, the other guy's car had even less damage than mine.

I tried to file a claim with my credit car company but they require too much paperwork like police report... How come I have to pay for other people inability to drive properly?
Thank you!

Police report is very much important to reveal your auto insurance, without it i think you can't get the benefits.. For an affordable auto insurance try to browse on our site, insurance60.com:biggrin:

Police report is very much important to reveal your auto insurance, without it i think you can't get the benefits.. For an affordable auto insurance try to browse on our site, insurance60.com:biggrin:

Or you could try NOT browsing her site and maybe she'll stop SPAMMING us!! :mad:

Where do I begin....
If you drive a motorcycle, you are still required to have insurance.

Double check your rental contract. Make sure you have the damage waiver and didn't initial the box to waive the damage waiver.

The police didn't say they don't report these accidents, they said they don't respond to them. You still have to file it, just do it online yourself.

LA? Somebody cut in front of you? Never happens, they are the most kind, caring drivers that exist. Must of been somebody from out of town.... yeah, just kidding!!!

Down to business. Get a statement from the rental company for what the charges are for. The damage waiver doesn't necessarily cover all charges, the big one it leaves you on the hook for is the loss of use charge, basically the rental fee the car company is out because they can't rent the car while it is being fixed. This sometimes will be paid by your credit card company (depends on the perks on the card). Odds are, there is a charge here for something you aren't taking a moment to understand. Understand the charge, then work it through. If it is for damage, send in a copy of the rental contract that shows you had elected the damage waiver.

Dan

Back