Uninsured Minor Car Accident in California...Permanent Record and

bluecabinet

I was uninsured at the time of the accident...the insurance got expired a week before the accident..I'm back on the insurance...but not that it matters...ANYWAY

I have agreed to pay for the damage since it was my fault..I rear ended the car just a little bit..(minor paint scuff in the back of the car) The repair came out to be about $400 as I was told from the Allstate agent.

There was no police report made that I know of. When the accident occurred we exchanged our information and parted our ways. Could the other person have reported the incident to the police after leaving the scene?

Also, the other person's insurance company, Allstate, went straight off to the collection company to collect the fees from me... not because I wasn't paying the money, but because I was uninsured...could the fact that the collection company is collecting money from me affect my credit rating??

Lastly, would this fiasco leave me with a permanent record that I should be aware of?? Criminal record, credit record, permanent record ect.... Since driving without an insurance was technically illegal...

I need to know this because this would matter when I apply for jobs and professional schools....Is there anyway for me to check this?

Little advice would be great...thanks

Re: Uninsured Minor Car Accident in California...Permanent Record

Well who is your insurance company now. When u bought insurance from them after the accident did they bring this incident up?

I was uninsured at the time of the accident...the insurance got expired a week before the accident..I'm back on the insurance...but not that it matters...ANYWAY

I have agreed to pay for the damage since it was my fault..I rear ended the car just a little bit..(minor paint scuff in the back of the car) The repair came out to be about $400 as I was told from the Allstate agent.

There was no police report made that I know of. When the accident occurred we exchanged our information and parted our ways. Could the other person have reported the incident to the police after leaving the scene?

Also, the other person's insurance company, Allstate, went straight off to the collection company to collect the fees from me... not because I wasn't paying the money, but because I was uninsured...could the fact that the collection company is collecting money from me affect my credit rating??

Lastly, would this fiasco leave me with a permanent record that I should be aware of?? Criminal record, credit record, permanent record ect.... Since driving without an insurance was technically illegal...

I need to know this because this would matter when I apply for jobs and professional schools....Is there anyway for me to check this?

Little advice would be great...thanks

While you need to have insurance (or post a bond) in CA, there is no reporting requirement unless there are injuries or the total damage is $750 or more.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. If the other party did report it you would have received a letter from the DMV by now.

Don't pay attention to anyone who works for Allstate. They are the most difficult company to deal with and I have yet to find an agent that knows what they're doing.

Let me give you one disclaimer. I haven't been in the property and casualty side of insurance probably longer than you've been alive. But I'm pretty sure my advice is correct.

Rick

Pay the bill for the repairs (and rental car for the other person, if there is one) and all is good.

If you don't pay it, then yes, it could affect your credit, though this would usually take a while. They should give you a reasonable amount of time to pay the bill.

In California, $400 in damage is a non-rated accident, your new insurance company might ask about it, but they won't really care about it.

Dan

Did the other drivers insurance pay it from un-insured coverage? If so, then they are probally coming after you from subrogation....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You know what, in reality, this also becomes an ethical question, When the agent ask you, have you had any wrecks or tickets, how will you answer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back