Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Reply to Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only     
Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

State: heritage111 is an Insurance Agent from
Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only
Hello everyone, I am a new agent in MI and I am a little confused about the benefits of Uninsured Motorist coverage when related to minimum liability only coverage.

So I understand that the purpose of UM is to provide medical coverage that would normally be paid from the liability portion of the other (at fault) uninsured person.

With Michigan being a no fault state with PIP benefits uncapped, why would someone pay extra for Uninsured Motorist coverage? Isn't the insurance company on the hook for any medical costs already?
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only
Old 06-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #2

State: heritage111 is an Insurance Agent from
Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only Re: Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only heritage111 is the thread starter for: Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only

So no responses? I find it hard to believe I'm the only one with this question.

From all the searching I have done no one even hints around the over lap of coverage. How am I to advise a client when its not clear to me?
  Reply With Quote to Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only
Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Guru

State: LostDollar is an Insurance Agent from Kansas
Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only Re: Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only
All the searching I do for MI says the minimum liability policy has limits of 20/40/10.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...gd_25094_7.pdf

LD is a Life Ins. & Medicare Supplement Consumer learning about Medicare

"...no space of regret can make amends for one life's opportunity misused..."
A Christmas Carol
Old 06-12-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Guru
VolAgent on Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only Re: Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only
Just found the same link as LostDollar.

What if your Michigan driver happens to drive in another state, what happens then if they don't have uninsured motorist?

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:13 AM   #5

State: Web320 is an Insurance Agent from Michigan
The uninsured/underinsured portion of the policy will compensate the policy holder (or beneficiary) for pain and suffering and excess wage loss. If I recall correctly, P&S is not covered by PIP.

I just pulled up my policy and for $250k/$500k of uninsured motorist coverage, it is $1.25 a month (the underinsured motorist coverage is about the same). Pretty marginal in the grand scheme of things when talking about auto insurance in Michigan, but I get where you see potential redundancy.
Reply to Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Redundant in MI for No Fault Liability Only 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum