Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM / UIM) – What is It?

In 2011, a study done by the Insurance Research Council found that 1 in 7 drivers in the U.S. are uninsured. Of those who do carry liability insurance, many are underinsured. Please understand that many Ohio drivers have state minimum limits of $12,500.00 per person and $25,000 per accident. Usually, that amount of coverage will barely cover your emergency room visit.

There are a variety of reasons people may choose to go uninsured or to carry low insurance limits, but the primary reason is generally to avoid paying monthly premiums on an insurance policy. Regardless of the severity of a car accident, the driver at fault may be accountable for repairs, medical bills, liability costs and other expenses. But when they are not insured, it is not likely that the at–fault driver will actually pay for your losses.

An uninsured motorist is a motorist who does not have any automobile insurance at all. An underinsured motorist is a motorist who carries automobile insurance but with limits that are lower than your underinsured motorist coverage limits. For example, if you choose to carry underinsured motorist coverage of $100,000 per person, and you are in an accident with a person who has liability insurance with policy limits of $25,000 per person, you will have an underinsured motorist claim of up to $75,000.00 with your own automobile insurance company.

How to Protect Yourself

Adding uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage to your policy can pay for injuries sustained by you, your passengers, and sometimes even your property if you are in a car accident in which an uninsured or underinsured driver is at fault. Paying monthly car insurance premiums allows you to pay a manageable amount from month to month so you won’t have to pay an unmanageable sum later. Adding uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage helps you protect yourself if you are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured / underinsured driver.

When you have UM / UIM coverage, you can receive money for the damages and injuries you, your passengers, and all the members of your family who reside in your household acquire in the event of a car accident if the driver at fault does not have liability insurance.

How Much Uninsured Motorist Coverage is enough?

This question varies for everyone, but in most cases, policyholders carry uninsured motorist coverage equal to their bodily injury liability limit. Some states, such as Ohio, do not require that carriers provide uninsured motorist coverage. If your agent does not offer uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage, you must ask for it. I cannot over emphasize how important it is that you have this coverage in your auto policies.
Many insurance companies prohibit coverage at a higher amount than the bodily injury liability limit. I recommend that everyone should carry uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage of at least $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident.

What Type of Losses are Covered?

Uninsured motorist coverage is in place to compensate you for your economic damages and non – economic damages when you have a legal claim against an uninsured or underinsured driver. Medical expenses, loss of income or earnings and out-of-pocket expenses may be covered, as well as non- economic damages such as pain and suffering, and the inability to do your normal daily activities.

Uninsured Drivers and Legal Risks

Motorists who cannot provide proof of insurance in the event of a traffic stop may face risks such as a suspended or confiscated license. Also, inactive insurance policies can make it difficult for drivers to get new vehicle tags or a new license plate when necessary, and they may even have their plates or registration suspended. These measures are in place to encourage all drivers to invest in the proper auto insurance.

Hiring an Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Attorney

Understanding insurance policies can be difficult. An uninsured / underinsured motorist attorney can look into your policy’s bodily injury and property damage coverage when you are faced with a claim that exceeds the limit of your uninsured / underinsured motorist coverage and clearly explain what is covered through your policy and what is not. An experienced personal injury attorney will also be able to help you recover the compensation you are entitled to for medical bills, automobile repairs, lost wages, out of pocket expenses, and any other general damages incurred as a result of an auto accident.

Attachments

• car1.jpg
    car1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
  • car2.jpg
    car2.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 4
Ummm...yep.
Devils advocate time.
If you and your family have outside health insurance and a low deductible on your car, why would you pay for um?

Ummm...yep.
Devils advocate time.
If you and your family have outside health insurance and a low deductible on your car, why would you pay for um?

It can cover lost wages if you cannot work due to the accident. It also provides coverage for other people who may be in your vehicle who are not covered by health insurance.

There are a lot of people who don't need it, but there is also a wide market for it. It is especially good for people without health insurance or people who often carry passengers in their car (example: a business man who drives a client to lunch, etc).

A bit of an update here...Ohio's limits are indeed very low. However, they will be increasing to $25,000/$50,000/$25,000 in March, the first increase we have had in more than 40 years!

Of course, each state is different. For example, Virginia's minimum limits are $25,000/$50,000/$20,000 and there is also a Virginia uninsured motorist coverage fee of $500 that allows you to drive a vehicle without insurance (at your own risk!).

In Georgia, UM/UIM Coverage is very inexpensive from most carriers. For example-

My parents auto policy-

500k/500k Bodily Injury Liability- 290.98/year (for '04 Accord & '12 Mazda CX-9)
250k/500k UM/UIM Bodily Injury- 61.16/year

Health insurance may not pay for injuries related to an auto accident. Not to mention the issue of passengers who lack health insurance. Loss of income and numerous other benefits can also be paid by UM/UIM.

In Georgia, we have the option of the UM/UIM limits being "Reduced By" any coverage the at-fault party had (UIM) or "Added on" which is above and beyond any amounts paid by another insurer. 250k/500k "Reduced By" is actually cheaper than 100k/300k "Added on", so I go with high limits and the "reduced by" option in most cases.

The Property Damage UM/UIM coverage is even cheaper- $7.11/year per vehicle for $50k coverage w/ $0 deductible.

If you didn't have UM/UIM Property Damage, your only option to repair/replace your vehicle would be to file it under your Collision coverage. But the Collision claim would most likely be held against you and cause a premium surcharge at your next renewal. UM/UIM claims will appear on a CLUE Report, but they aren't held against you, at least in Georgia, they aren't.

My parents, and my whole family (including myself) are all insured with Owners Insurance (Auto-Owners Preferred company). But prior to me finally getting them to switch (when I went to work for an agency that represented Auto-Owners), they were with State Farm. They had 100/300/100 Liability Limits but only 25/50/25 UM/UIM....and I've seen many other policies just like it!

Minimum limits are a joke, for liability or UM/UIM. If someone with minimum limits of 25/50/25 hit my mom's new Mazda CX-9, the $25k Property Damage wouldn't cover the ACV. Her UIM would pick up the balance, though.

if some irresponsible teen hits you and is carrying state minimums, you either get to pay for itself or watch yourself go bankrupt.

um/uim is so cheap i set it to the bodily injury limits of the policy.

it doesnt make sense to pay for someone else and pay them more before you pay for yourself.

I refuse to sell policies with UM limits under the policy limits. I will let other agents deal with clients that value $50 a year more than they value their safety and security. Some clients "get it" and some don't... keep your pipeline full enough that you don't have to chase people that don't "get it".

Some of the smartest words ever said about sales.

Can't disagree with you there.

I will add though that this coverage can change people's lives, for better or worse, if you have the opportunity to educate a customer that didn't see the importance before, you could be saving someone from financial ruin and losing quality of life after an accident.

Back