Unlicensed Driver

lorrieduke

Expert
I live in California.. Yesterday I was involved in an accident. Other vehicle was a fault. Although the car is insured, the driver does not have a valid drivers license. Owner of the vehicle is the drivers son. Will Progressive pay the claim?

Not enough information to know for sure.

Usually in these cases, 'Dad' will be excluded on the policy and therefore, Progressive will not pay the claim. If not excluded, they will do their own fault determination.

While you claim the other driver is at fault (and I'm not doubting that), expect the other driver to claim otherwise and for Progressive to take their drivers side of the story.

If you clear those hurdles, then there is a good chance that they will pay the claim.

Dan

Not enough information to know for sure.

Usually in these cases, 'Dad' will be excluded on the policy and therefore, Progressive will not pay the claim. If not excluded, they will do their own fault determination.

While you claim the other driver is at fault (and I'm not doubting that), expect the other driver to claim otherwise and for Progressive to take their drivers side of the story.

If you clear those hurdles, then there is a good chance that they will pay the claim.

Dan

Thank you Dan. Police officer already said she was at fault. Plus 5 witnesses. She blew threw a stop sign. Also she told police officer she has mental disorders and is on meds.
The car belongs to her son. He's got insurance through progressive but mom has no license.

Thank you Dan. Police officer already said she was at fault. Plus 5 witnesses. She blew threw a stop sign. Also she told police officer she has mental disorders and is on meds.
The car belongs to her son. He's got insurance through progressive but mom has no license.

Another unknown factor in play is whether the son actually permitted mother to drive the car. If son indicates during the claims investigation that he had no knowledge of, nor permitted the mother to drive the car now Progressive has a get of jail free card.

Although we would need more information I would be inclined to believe it would be covered unless she was excluded. I had a similar situation with progressive where an insured let a relative on vacation from Mexico drive a vehicle and rear ended someone. Progressive paid out the claim without making too much of an issue about it.

Back