Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Reply to URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect?     
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #11

State: Fast GTO is an Insurance Agent from Maryland
URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? Re: URGENT! GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? Fast GTO is the thread starter for: URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect?

The person was working on my car, put in the new motor, and took it out to make sure it was driving the way it should and slid it into a tree on a wet road.

Police report says he wasn't speeding or anything. the problem is that because he was a private person I am on the hook for insurance instead of him.

Obviously I have a civil case against him...

The problem is that the adjuster isn't looking out for me, he is looking to save his company as much as possible.

I seem to have the law on my side.
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect?
eZLynx Banner New 2
Old 09-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
Guru
Focus LTC on URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? - Insurance Forum

State: Focus LTC is an Insurance Agent from Maryland
Focus LTC is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? Re: URGENT! GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect?
I totaled a 2006 Brazen Orange Metalic GTO with 84K miles on it. This was years ago. I got $16,500. They always total cars like that. They're rare and parts are expensive.

The Aussies sure make a mean muscle car

----------Never Play Leap Frog With a Unicorn.----------
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #13

URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? Re: URGENT! GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? Fast GTO is the thread starter for: URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect?

They are rarer over the years. Any dealership selling one with my miles is asking over 21K. NADA reflects that.

MD law says they have to account for local advertising and dealer prices. The car value has to be based off of Substantially Similar Vehicle that is the same year, model, and within 4K miles.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:55 PM   #14

State: Guest is an Insurance Agent from
URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? Re: URGENT! GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect?
well, you gonna get what you get cause it is geico, that was your first mistake,

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   How many stars are in USA flag? I agree to forum rules 

Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
Guru
Josh on URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? - Insurance Forum

State: Josh is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Josh is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
This is a low production vehicle not made anymore. It will be totaled.

Maryland law says it has to be a 'substantially similar vehicle' off which they make a settlement offer.

A. In General. After receipt of a settlement offer, a claimant may:
(1) Accept the offer; or
(2) In writing, reject the offer and make a counteroffer based on:
(a) Dealer quotations for a substantially similar motor vehicle;
(b) Advertisements for a substantially similar motor vehicle; or
(c) Any other source of valuation for a substantially similar motor vehicle.
First, they're a huge company. They handled a total loss with me very fairly.

Next, wait to see what they say. You may find it's what you want. If not, you have some options. Most of the time claims are handled well.

You're valuation is probably a little off. What some guy lists a car for on autotrader is just that, what some guy wants for his car. They will base the value a little different, but it's going to be a very realistic number. The killer would be the aftermarket work, so if you have that covered, I'd have a drink and call it a night.

UNLIMITED telemarketing lists for $50/month
Great for generating HOT leads for Medicare, Auto, Health, Life, and more!
www.ListShack.com
888-905-3282
Get a free cold calling eBook here!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 AM   #16
Super Genius

State: FullAuto is an Insurance Agent from Oklahoma

The problem is that the adjuster isn't looking out for me, he is looking to save his company as much as possible.
Are you saying this before you've even received an offer?

I'd like to see some pics of the car if you have them.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #17

My valuation was based off of dealer prices, not private person pricing. Nothing in MD law says anythign about private sellers. All of the statutes mention dealer pricing.

I know adjusters use proprietary databases, and the law is vague on that beyond acknowledging it so long as it provides a true statistical value based on substantially similar vehicles. I am hoping for the best since NADA and local dealer sales are in the same ball park.

I also have an advertisement of a private person with almost my exact car and mods selling for $26,000 and it sold yesterday.

Last edited by Fast GTO; 09-28-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
Guru
Josh on URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? - Insurance Forum

State: Josh is an Insurance Agent from Virginia
Josh is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
I also have an advertisement of a private person with almost my exact car and mods selling for $26,000 and it sold yesterday.
Were the mods listed on the policy?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
Guru
moonlightandmargaritas on URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? - Insurance Forum

State: moonlightandmargaritas is an Insurance Agent from Florida
moonlightandmargaritas is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Originally Posted by Red Blooded American View Post
well, you gonna get what you get cause it is geico...
Exactly. PERIOD. END OF STORY.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
Guru
VolAgent on URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? - Insurance Forum

State: VolAgent is an Insurance Agent from Tennessee
VolAgent is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
My valuation was based off of dealer prices, not private person pricing. Nothing in MD law says anythign about private sellers. All of the statutes mention dealer pricing.

I know adjusters use proprietary databases, and the law is vague on that beyond acknowledging it so long as it provides a true statistical value based on substantially similar vehicles. I am hoping for the best since NADA and local dealer sales are in the same ball park.

Just remember, an adjuster is interested in the price at which cars sell and not the list price. I believe KBB is sold price and not list price like NADA.

Also, I'm surprised they haven't raised a red flag about an uninsured mechanic. It was his obligation to have insurance while working on your car.

You can pay the premium or you can own the loss.
Reply to URGENT!  GEICO: Car is Being Totalled what Can I Expect? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum