Very Unhappy with AAA Claim!

Trudijane

I've been with AAA for 20 years or more. I've always been pretty happy with them. My last car (I just gave it up) was a 1997 Toyota Tercel with minimum liability coverage (about $300/year).

2 weeks ago I was in a collision in a neighboring City (Burlingame). I've learned very quickly that adjustors tend to look at things in black & white, without adequate investigation or evaluating the scene of the accident or take pictures (I took pictures).

I hit the back of a vehicle on a street I take every day; a laid back street with little traffic at that time. Why did I hit the back of this vehicle? Because this woman suddenly stopped in the middle of a very long street (no lights, no intersections. no stop sign). I was a good distance behind her (I do NOT tailgate) and the moment I saw her brake light so on, I slammed on my own brakes in attempt to 'not' hit her. Unfortunately, I could not stop in time, but it could have been a lot worse. From my point of view, what she did was negligent. Who stops in the middle of the street in ongoing traffic (light at 3 PM).

I was fine and she certainly was fine when she was yelling at me - why did you hit me!!! except after the police came. In fact, I've never seen such a commotion over a minor collision!~ She had -0- damage to the rear of her "Mercedes" (I took pictures) while I had slight damage to my bumper which was pushed in a little. I also wanted to pull over to the side of the road (there was plenty of room so that ongoing traffic could continue). On the other hand, she remained in her car and did not move. I wondered why, until the next thing I saw was her being put in an ambulance with a brace around her neck on a gurney. I was talking to a policeman at the time; and just said - you've got to be kidding. She was just moving her neck while yelling at me and now she claimed she couldn't move it. He told me it was just standard procedure that if someone claims their neck hurt, they look into it. Oh? I never knew that until that day. What I did know was that she was faking it. I was going about 30 mph when i hit her and I slammed on my breaks 2-3 car lengths behind which I pointed out to the police (I took pictures of the skid markes as well).

Usually the adjuster calls me the next day or so. I did not hear from him until a week later and he said that the matter was resolved with a nominal fee; but of course it was deemed to be my fault since she was stopped, and I was moving, so I hit her. No investigation was done. I asked what were the results at the ER; he said he didn't know but it really doesn't matter. Why doesn't matter when she is obviously lying. Other than this collision, I have a perfect driving record for the last 10 years.

So now I bought another new "used" car through 'Beepi' and I'm at a loss of what insurance I need since I'm so used to just having minimum liability through AAA since it was an old car and not worth much (but it was in great mechanical condition w/ low mileage. Today, I did some research as what insurance I should get and I filled out a form and at the end it said, we can't give you a quote because you recently had an accident and was found to be at fault. So, how is this going to affect my getting adequate insurance for my current vehicle.

I'm so angry at the Insurance Adjustor for not doing their jobs thoroughly and investigating the scene more. When I asked him why he said because it would not have mattered anyway since she was stopped and you hit her so it's your fault. Things are Just not as it seems, especially in Auto accident such as this. Had it not been for my sharp reflexes and quick behavior it could have been a lot worse. All I was doing was being a good defensive driver. What can I say? What can I do.

Tomorrow I'm going to a AAA office to upgrade my insurance and am afraid of what I'm going to hear. So - how can one dispute a claim that I know is unjust???:skeptical:

No investigation was done.

They did investigate. It was your fault.

I was a good distance behind her (I do NOT tailgate) and the moment I saw her brake light so on, I slammed on my own brakes in attempt to 'not' hit her. Unfortunately, I could not stop in time

No one likes to admit when they're at fault, but you did. If you hit the brakes the moment you saw her brake light on and you slammed into her, you were too close. If you're driving it is 100% your responsibility to maintain a safe distance to avoid hitting people in front of you.

From your own description, any adjuster will find you at fault for the accident. Its not always 100% fair, but it is the way it works. Most accidents have some mutual fault component, such as an abrupt stop, but in CA, it is usually rated as 0%, 49%, 50-50, 51% or 100% at fault.

In this case, you were probably technically 75% at fault (based on your description), but that means 100% at fault for practical purposes. Doesn't really matter at that point.

Injury - many people tense up even in the slightest bump and their muscles go wacky. Most are fine in a day or 2, but it is human nature. She probably wasn't faking anything, just a bad case of nerves. Your statement that the adjuster said it was resolved with a nominal fee somewhat confirms that it wasn't a big deal. If she was 'faking', it would not be a nominal fee.

Rarely do investigators leave their desk. They got your statement, her statement, perhaps a police report, enough there to make a good determination. More investigation would have lead to the same conclusion, you failed to provide proper distance to the car in front of you for the traffic conditions. Okay, truth is, you probably blinked for a moment, we all do.

Nobody was seriously hurt. Insurance is paying the bill for her damage, be thankful more didn't happen. Get some slightly better coverage going forward. Even 25/50 would provide you much better protection then the 15/30 you have and it probably doesn't have much premium change at all.

Dan

I'm at a loss of what insurance I need since I'm so used to just having minimum liability through AAA since it was an old car and not worth much (but it was in great mechanical condition w/ low mileage.

Your liability limits have ZERO to do with what kind of car you drive. It has everything to do with the amount of bodily injury and property damage you might be held responsible for causing.....as in this case. My advice is to contact an independent agent, or a couple, and get their advice which will be tailored to your specific needs.

At MGB Insurance Services we only represent companies with good claims experiences. Most insurance companies have what is called an "Escalation Unit" which can possibly help in this situation. When it comes down to it all insurance companies are for profit businesses and you have to work with them (fight them sometimes) to pay claims.

Back