Warning: State Farm Sued Me and Won, but They Lost the War

mileena

Expert
In 2008 I was driving uninsured and caused an accident. There was no damage to the other party's car other than a tiny piece of plastic lining being chipped by their rear wheel well. But there was a lot of damage on my car, about $5,000 worth!

I wasn't worried since the other party had collision insurance, so if there were any claim, the other party's collision should have paid for it. So I was surprised when State Farm tried repeatedly contacting me through their "subrogation" unit asking for my side of the story. I ignored all of their phone calls and letters for over a year since I had no reason to talk to them. Then sent me a bill for over $2,000 for damage to their insured's car. LOL! There was barely any damage!

I did not have insurance, and since I am "judgment proof" and poor and have no job or attachable income, I wasn't about to offer them any money.

The next thing I know, they got a default court judgment on me from a county where I no longer live! And they never even served me! They served my landlord at my former address, and she never bothered forwarding me the papers for months! In the meantime, the court had a hearing and entered a default judgment since I didn't appear!

But no matter, I am judgment proof and State Farm has no way of collecting on me! A few months later, I moved across the county to another state, and haven't heard from them since! LOL!

In this case, all their efforts were for naught. They wasted a lot of money on legal fees and used sleazy tactics, but they have no money to show for their efforts! I won! Chalk one up for the small guy!

Last edited:
You, my friend, are the worst kind of person.
You drive uninsured, not even liability (PD) coverage, and expect that the other party should eat their deductible and State Farm should eat their costs to repair the other vehicle for an accident YOU caused.
Then, you have the gall to "pretend" you were never notified by State Farm of their subrogation demands or the court hearing?
If you lived in Wisconsin, State Farm would have gotten your driving license privileges suspended until you made payment on the amount you legally owe.
P.S. you cannot hide forever, in this information age, you will be tracked down and have to face all of this again (and again and again)

In 2008 was driving uninsured and caused an accident. There was no damage to the other party's car other than a tiny piece of plastic lining being chipped by their rear wheel well. But there was a lot of damage on my car, about $5,000 worth!

I wasn't worried since the other party had collision insurance, so if there were any claim, the other party's collision should have paid for it. So I was surprised when State Farm tried repeatedly contacting me through their "subrogation" unit asking for my side of the story. I ignored all of their phone calls and letters for over a year since I had no reason to talk to them. Then sent me a bill for over $2,000 for damage to their insured's car. LOL! There was barely any damage!

I did not have insurance, and since I am "judgment proof" and poor and have no job or attachable income, I wasn't about to offer them any money.

The next thing I know, they got a default court judgment on me from a county where I no longer live! And they never even served me! They served my landlord at my former address, and she never bothered forwarding me the papers for months! In the meantime, the court had a hearing and entered a default judgment since I didn't appear!

But no matter, I am judgment proof and State Farm has no way of collecting on me! A few months later, I moved across the county to another state, and haven't heard from them since! LOL!

In this case, all their efforts were for naught. They wasted a lot of money on legal fees and used sleazy tactics, but they have no money to show for their efforts! I won! Chalk one up for the small guy!

Judgments are good for 10 years and can be renewed. There is a 10% interested every year, so in 10 years it will double and may be renewed.

So, you don't answer the phone when they call? Are you being chased by bill collectors? Are you also collecting welfare? On disability? Your sure beat the system, while sitting back in your 1980's bean bag chair in your single wide mobile home. You said you moved, what part of hillbilly country did you move to?:D

You drive uninsured, not even liability (PD) coverage, and expect that the other party should eat their deductible and State Farm should eat their costs to repair the other vehicle for an accident YOU caused.
Then, you have the gall to "pretend" you were never notified by State Farm of their subrogation demands or the court hearing?
If you lived in Wisconsin, State Farm would have gotten your driving license privileges suspended until you made payment on the amount you legally owe.
P.S. you cannot hide forever, in this information age, you will be tracked down and have to face all of this again (and again and again)

i don't need to hide! i have no assets, job, garnishable income, etc. i just preferred not to have to bother with useless letters/calls from state farm. they stopped calling after being ignored for a few months, but they continued sending letters for a while.

state farms and the court were idiots since they never ensured i was served. i really never got served. they sent the stuff to an old address. but i wouldn't have bothered to show up anyway since i have better things to do with my time.

BTW, no license suspension. i believe i was already suspended in the state where the accident occurred for not paying a ticket, but my DL was from anohther state anyway (my home state), which does not have reciprocity. so my DL is not suspended, except in that one state.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judgments are good for 10 years and can be renewed. There is a 10% interested every year, so in 10 years it will double and may be renewed.

So, you don't answer the phone when they call? Are you being chased by bill collectors? Are you also collecting welfare? On disability? Your sure beat the system, while sitting back in your 1980's bean bag chair in your single wide mobile home. You said you moved, what part of hillbilly country did you move to?:D

i think state farm gave up. bill collectors can chase all they want, but i have no assets, income, job, as i said above. also, no one knows my address or phone number (neither is in my name). it would not be worth their time to hound me. i am on social security disability, btw, which is not garnishable, except by the federal government (think IRS or DOE).

Last edited:
No one will execute on the judgment while you don't have anything attachable. That said, they do indeed last 10 years and can be renewed. That means 2, 5, 15, 20 years from now they'll end up with their money...plus countless thousands in interest.

If they really get PO'd with you they can issue a demand for assets. If you ignore that you can be arrested. It doesn't matter which county or state you're in, if a warrant is issued it'll be active in all 50 states.

However, I don't know what kind of quality of life you want. You'll never get a job with your social security number, never get a bank account in your name, et....without going to bed every night wondering if when you want up they've levied your account or wages.

Last edited:

i hate insurance companies. they use all sorts of unethical tactics to charge you higher rates, such as your credit score, gender, marital status, type of employment, whether you need an sr-22, etc.

i once tried to get an online quote at either progressive or geico. forget which. i experimented with different answers to "occupation" to see how that would affect my rate quote. if i put down "self-employed" (which i was), the rate was ok. but if i put down "student" (which i also was--a graduate student in her 30's in a phd program), the rate shot up by $1,000!!!! LOL! this is so frivolous. i am allowed to answer either "student" or "self-employed", and they produce wildly-disparate rates!

if insurers charged reasonable rates and did not stereotype, i would have insurance! but to me, liability is not worth it since i am judgment proof and do not get anything from paying liability!

No one will execute on the judgment while you don't have anything attachable. That said, they do indeed last 10 years and can be renewed. That means 2, 5, 15, 20 years from now they'll end up with their money...plus countless thousands in interest.

If they really get PO'd with you they can issue a demand for assets. If you ignore that you can be arrested. It doesn't matter which county or state you're in, if a warrant is issued it'll be active in all 50 states.

they won't extradite for civil warrants, only felony criminal warrants. my old state has no control over me anymore.

also, i read that you can challenge a judgment where proper service was not issued. there is special procedure in place since something like 75% of all judgments where i am from are default and in many of those cases, process was not served properly. there was an article about this. i'll try to find it.

you think state farm would chalk up a measly $2000 as peanuts for a loss and not waste all the time they did!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
...how about being arrested for driving without insurance?

nope...i have a way around that in case i'm pulled over...never been a problem.

Last edited:
It is wonderful to have such fine upstanding responsible citizens as mileena as a part of our forum. :D Don't doubt the means for them to live are funded by our tax dollars.

Last edited:
Back