Water Damage After Accident - Uninsured Driver at Fault. Help!

webb577

My wife was rear ended on a highway in Mass, sustaining moderate rear end damage to a 2012 Volvo S60. The accident blew out the rear window. The driver at fault evaded, was arrested and of course, has no insurance. The local company towed it to their yard, where they left it uncovered and then it poured for a day. It was towed to a shop in CT, where we live for repairs. The insurance company initially denied it being wet, but after seeing it myself - it's soaked. Two weeks later, there's still standing water in the car. They're saying they'll simply dry it out and not to worry about it. I'm concerned that everything has been exposed to moisture and will develop numerous electronic and corrosion problems, not to mention mold, mildew and being generally musty. I'm pushing for it to be totaled, but they're refusing so far. The value is about $30,000 with repairs (not even mentioning the water) presently at about $13,000. Thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Probably not a total. In fact, you are probably a long way from being a total.

The water can be cleaned, carpets replaced if necessary. Its unlikely to cause any electronic issues, since little, if any, electronics exists on the floorboards of cars. Power seat controllers perhaps, but those are probably well above the water.

You would have a case if the car was flooded, i.e., water rose up and came into the car, since that water also gets into the engine compartment where there are lots of electronics. In your case though, it was just lots of water coming in from a broken back window.

Good luck with the process. I know what I just said isn't what you want to hear, but its pretty much where it is given what you have said.

Dan

You're entitled to get you car back to pre-loss condition minus your collision deductible. Ask your agent/claims supervisor to review your concerns with the claims people-that's a reasonable request.

Back