Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Reply to What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure?     
Old 04-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

State: Statewide Insurance is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure? What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure?
I have be a captive agent for 3 years and now I am going to be opening my own brokerage. Does anyone know the commission structure for any auto companies? I heard they can negotiate the commission. Also is it true you can charge a brokers fee, if so what is the going rate? Thanks, this is the first of many posts. Great site for insurance info!!!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure?
eZLynx Banner New 1
Old 04-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure? Re: What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure?
Originally Posted by Statewide Insurance View Post
I have be a captive agent for 3 years and now I am going to be opening my own brokerage. Does anyone know the commission structure for any auto companies? I heard they can negotiate the commission. Also is it true you can charge a brokers fee, if so what is the going rate? Thanks, this is the first of many posts. Great site for insurance info!!!
Commission structure will vary, but it will be 10-14% both new business and renewals. Commercial auto may be a little less. Probably can't negotiate much up front, but if you do enough volume, you might get a better deal.

Your responsbilities change if you charge a brokers fee. You have to have a brokers license, which may or may not be an issue depending on the state you are in. For instance, in California, they used to only have P&C brokers licenses, no agent licenses. I think that changed again this year, since they split up the licenses again (I didn't follow this, didn't impact me).

I'm sure there are some regulations about brokers fees, I don't know about them, but whenever I point them out on somebodies policy, I just got new business. Makes it easy.

Also, if you are acting as a broker, you work for the client, not the insurance company. No insurance company that I'm aware of will give you binding authority if you are a true broker charging broker fees. This can hurt you in the long run, depending on what market you are pursuing.

Dan
  Reply With Quote to What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Guru
GreenSky on What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure? - Insurance Forum

State: GreenSky is an Insurance Agent from California
GreenSky is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure? Re: What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure?
Isn't it more important to find competitive products, rather than having the first concern being commissions?

Haven't done P&C in 20 years so maybe the focus of what is important has changed.

Rick

www.medicaretraining101.com for great ongoing training and webinars!
Best quality lists for $20 per 1,000 - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Member discounts and product assistance.
insure(at)greensky(dot)com
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #4
djs
Guru

State: djs is an Insurance Agent from California
djs is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Depends how good of a salesman you are Beyond that, you are absolutely correct. I'd rather get 10% of something that I can sell rather than 14% of something that won't sell.

Namebrand recognition helps to. A lot of people buy State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, AAA simply because they know the name and feel confident the claim will get paid on a fair basis. They are not so sure about Joe's Pizza and Auto Insurance.

Dan

Register Now for FREE!
To sign up for your FREE INSTANT account, please complete the form.

Username:
    Password:   Confirm Password:     E-Mail:   Confirm E-Mail:     

Question of the day:   How many stars are in USA flag? I agree to forum rules 

Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #5
Super Genius

State: Insurance Phoenix is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Originally Posted by GreenSky View Post
Isn't it more important to find competitive products, rather than having the first concern being commissions?

Haven't done P&C in 20 years so maybe the focus of what is important has changed.

Rick
Out of my 12 or so carriers all but one are "A" rated (the other is B+ the last time I checked). I try to place my clients with the carrier, whoever it is, that has the best rate. However, given a scenario where two carriers rates are identical why wouldn't an agent go with the carrier with the better commission structure? Unless you have some personal experience that a specific carrier stinks on some level, I suppose. But then why represent them.

Arizona Auto Insurance
Arizona Carpet Cleaners
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
Super Genius

State: rocketboy is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Who do I need to go through to get a broker deal for selling auto insurance? Or do I need to get appointed with each individual company?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #7
Guru

State: Soaringagent is an Insurance Agent from Undisclosed Location
Well, you can subscribe to a wholesaler like Superior Access or you can maybe get appointments with each individual insurance company.
Reply to What auto insurance companies have the best commission structure? 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forum > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Auto Insurance Forum

Tags
auto insurance