What Auto Symbols for Quoting

SHughes31533

Hi there,
So I am new to the insurance field. I work in commercial lines currently and I am starting to get into quotes for auto. I understand what the auto symbols mean, however I am a little unsure what symbols you are supposed to use for quoting if the customer does not specify.

I was using 7 - specifically described autos, but I am hearing now its better to quote with 1 - any auto. When you pick your main symbol, how do you know what other symbols to use for PIP, Collision, etc.

I don't mean to come off as stupid, I just was never really explained it well and I when I have asked at my current job I was just told it "depends", so trying to figure this out on my own.

Wanted to hear some ideas on how agents usually choose which symbol to choose and why. I understand it does vary, just don't know what the "standard" is.

Thanks in advance!

It really does depend.

Symbol 1 is technically the most lenient as it is "any Auto" however this requires insured's to list/insure everything they own.

Pull the commercial auto acord form and it should give you the numbers that are options under each coverage.

It really does depend.

Symbol 1 is technically the most lenient as it is "any Auto" however this requires insured's to list/insure everything they own.

Pull the commercial auto acord form and it should give you the numbers that are options under each coverage.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if there was a "standard" or not. Usually I do get the auto symbols off the Acord or some sort of paperwork they give me, but sometimes I get people that have no info for me besides the basics. Just wanted to see if there was something I can do in that case besides just asking them directly. Thanks again!

To be brutally honest, if you do not understand commercial auto at this fundamental level, you could be a danger to prospects and customers by not being able to properly protect them and the public. I would sign up for a quality seminar or webinar on commercial auto insurance. If you can provide the state you're in, I might be able to make some suggestions.

To be brutally honest, if you do not understand commercial auto at this fundamental level, you could be a danger to prospects and customers by not being able to properly protect them and the public. I would sign up for a quality seminar or webinar on commercial auto insurance. If you can provide the state you're in, I might be able to make some suggestions.

Thank you, just to clarify my work gets checked before going out officially. I am more just trying to get a grasp on this so that when I am the only one responsible that I know I am making the right choices. I actually just found some webinars from one of our carriers that I am going to participate in. Thanks for the concern.

Thank you, just to clarify my work gets checked before going out officially. I am more just trying to get a grasp on this so that when I am the only one responsible that I know I am making the right choices. I actually just found some webinars from one of our carriers that I am going to participate in. Thanks for the concern.

Terrific, good luck in your studies. Check The National Alliance for Insurance Education & Research and see what commercial lines CIC programs are scheduled in your area. And, remember to always RTFP!

Back