What Are my Options?

Hello everyone,
I have a situation of two people that have separated not yet divorced. The wife has moved out and the husband would like to not continue to have to pay for the wifes auto insurance. How could I possibly separate the two? She of coarse will not sign a cancelation form.

Not too sure about this but I believe that unless they both consent you cannot remove anyone or any vehicle/coverage without a court order.

I would call the carrier to ask what their guidelines are. Some just need the first named insured, others want both signatures. Or you can rewrite the husband on his own and let the old policy be canceled for nonpayment. :). I would personally stay out of the whole ordeal. Tell the client your hands are tied until they figure it out.

Disclaimer: Opinions only, do it at your own risk.

I would call the carrier to ask what their guidelines are. Some just need the first named insured, others want both signatures. Or you can rewrite the husband on his own and let the old policy be canceled for nonpayment. :). I would personally stay out of the whole ordeal. Tell the client your hands are tied until they figure it out.

Disclaimer: Opinions only, do it at your own risk.

I appreciate the advice everyone. normaly I would stay out of it however its my father in law :( lol. Just trying to help him out with the whole ordeal and not get myself an e&o claim in the swing of it all.

I might have an out for you:

Which name is on the title/registration? That's the person obligated to maintain financial responsibility.

If it's FIL he's pretty stuck until things get settled in court?

Then check with what carriers are available to you. You may be able to get by listing him as separated, divorced, single, whatever his situation currently is. I'm sure she'll come up on CLUE or whatever, but if they're living separate thats easily addressed.

Back