What is Progressive and How Do You Compete Against Them ?

I agree with the statement "rat company"..... when progressive finds a way to steal the IA's book without paying for it.....consider it done... therefore, we give them all the crap business...... and they still seem to make a profit on it :goofy:

Great technology...zero loyalty=Progressive

That really sucks that they offer direct consumers a better price. It should be the same or a little lower for the independent agent.

I recently did a quote for a guy. Progressive came out the best. I told the customer that and did not hear from him for around a week. Sent him a follow up email and his response was, "Yes, I did use Progressive like you said. Thanks"

Guess I shouldn't have told him Progressive was the best. That is what makes me mad about them. If a customer goes dircectly to them, it is a lot easier for the customer. Either let independent agents sell your product, or don't!

I recently did a quote for a guy. Progressive came out the best. I told the customer that and did not hear from him for around a week. Sent him a follow up email and his response was, "Yes, I did use Progressive like you said. Thanks"

Guess I shouldn't have told him Progressive was the best. That is what makes me mad about them. If a customer goes dircectly to them, it is a lot easier for the customer. Either let independent agents sell your product, or don't!

I don't sell P&C...but sell Life insurance and the problem is similar. If you tell the client the cost and the company name they no longer need you...Anyone that can offer that product that reachs them afterward can sell it...I tell the client I am getting a lot of good rates from companies such as Pru, ING, AM Gen, SBLI etc...I tell them the best option for them is $x but I don't tell them the company I ask if that is within there budget if yes I move on to filling out the app...If I can't move them then somethings holding them back and for some people even telling them you offer all the major companies some people will still wait for more quotes so in my sceneraio at least I didn't say the lowest rate for you is $12/month with SBLI so that when they speak with the next agent they don't say can you beat $12/month I was told SBLI was the best rate and the agent says actually I represent many companies including SBLI and based on your situation they are the best fit why don't I get that taken care of for you....Do you think the client is going to say no let me call this other guy back...He didn't even take your phone number down..

You need to find a way to provide them enough info to make the decision without making the sale for the next agent just in case you can't close them on the first call.

Good Company for the Consumer

Peaks and Valleys for the Agent (see below)

Good:

Name Recognition
Technology
Customer Service
Claims

Bad

Lowest Commissions 10% NB most states
Direct selling at lower prices than agents can sell
Arrogant
Prefer to do business direct vs Agency

Gulliver

I work for american national, I love the commercial " we have they best motorcycle rates" we beat them by 35 % on the quote. I seem to find on autos, it's more of the high risk drivers that go there, more claims and violations, not always but seems more in my area.

I had a quote come from Net Quote. I ran the numbers through and Progressive came out the best. I think it was something around $600 for 6 months. I sent the guy an email with the quote, his reply was, "Went directly to Progressive and got it for $500, try another sucker."

Car Insurance Prices: Insurance Rates - Progressive

They're making it sound like sometimes the agents rates are lower than the customer can get direct on the website, and sometimes not. I wonder if that's ever true in practice.

Car Insurance Prices: Insurance Rates - Progressive

They're making it sound like sometimes the agents rates are lower than the customer can get direct on the website, and sometimes not. I wonder if that's ever true in practice.

That article is humorous. They make it sound like the agent decides what rate they will charge. They say:

Since the Direct Business and the Agency Business make independent decisions about the expenses they incur and the prices of their products, buying direct or through an agent could result in different prices for Progressive policies.

I guess they are referring to broker fees. Not sure, but then, I don't know any place that still charges broker fees.

Dan

Back