What is Progressive and How Do You Compete Against Them ?

I think you misunderstood djs. Would you rather call an 800 number and get someone in New Dehli to process your claim or would you rather go to your local agent (independent or captive) to file the claim?

That's the thing, Penn National is done by my local carrier here. They're only in like 5 or 6 states but they are from a local independent agent, and 400 bucks a year cheaper than progressive. And yes, im an agent myself, I prefer using an agent, hell I would rather use an agent if it cost me more money.

With a lot of loyal Progressive agents I've talked to, most of them had only one "preferred" carrier so progressive gets everthing else. Progressive's technology seems to be the envy of the industry, maybe that's what is keeping them in the race, it certainly isn't the loyalty factor with agents. Then again, what do they "owe" the agency force?

Then again, what do they "owe" the agency force?

Well, if you look at their financials, they owe the agents quite a bit. The overwhelming majority of their business is with the agents, not direct.

Dan

I know nothing about Penn. Progressive has a decent (not outstanding) claims process.

When I know nothing about a company, I assume they use third party adjusters who are paid to keep claims down. Claims usually get delayed, etc, etc. This isn't always the case, but I've seen it happen enough times.

I have no problem with centralized claims handling. In fact, it tends to work well. It's available 24 hours a day usually and can take care of problems where the agent may be delayed.

My issue is more when a carrier doesn't have their own claim adjusters / centers to deal with the problem. When they outsource this, I've seen more problems then when it is done in house.

Dan

Clearly you don't live in a rural town in a rural state. All we have is independents!

Progressive is one of my carriers for KY and OH. Every carrier has it quirks! Commission is low at Progressive, but we usually beat the "direct" rates all the time w/ Progressive.
The local rep is easy to work with and provides straight answers. Claims service is quick and fair.
We currently reserve Progressive for DUI's, no prior, horrible credit, monoline clients...
Progressive is offering home insurance through a small group of agents in our area. I told them I was not interested in selling someone else's home product w/ the Progressive label...especially since they don't offer UMBRELLAS yet! Bad combo for an E&O claim.
All in all, you have to have Progressive in any Indy agency...their clients can "graduate" to a preferred carrier after 6 months of prior insurance.
Just my two cents...

Our agency writes for Progressive in Maryland, and as far as I know, we have never lost out to someone who got a direct quote before calling us. In fact, there are discounts that the Independent Agents can offer that cannot be done through direct.

We have lost out to some of the direct online quotes though. It seems as though they don't always ask all of the necessary questions online to get an accurate quote.

In California, I find Progressive to be very good for drivers with DUI's, but less competitive for higher liability limits. Their niche seems to work well with the household that has simple insurance needs. Needless to say, we are not really competing for the same clients.

Back