What is Progressive and How Do You Compete Against Them ?

squeed

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Those progressive commercials are great. It looks like there are a huge one stop shop, independent agent.

Is that what they are ?

How often do you bump up against them and is it difficult to compete ? My guess is NO, if they are an independent, because if you are also, then they're able to provide the same stuff as you ?

-S

Those progressive commercials are great. It looks like there are a huge one stop shop, independent agent.

Is that what they are ?

How often do you bump up against them and is it difficult to compete ? My guess is NO, if they are an independent, because if you are also, then they're able to provide the same stuff as you ?

-S

Squeed, it sounds like you have bought into Progressive's advertising hook line and sinker. What makes you think they are hard to compete with?

I don't know anything about P & C so I don't know if Progressive is high low or in the middle. But I do know that they spend a LOT of money on TV advertising and that usually doesn't come free.

They write Direct to the Consumer through their website, AND through the Independent Agency System.

I rarely come up against them in CA on anything other than Non Standard or distressed auto or other uninformed consumers who have bought off the TV Marketing Hype.

In CA they are very uncompetitive and typically get adversely selected against by most agents. The mantra is ... if your going to try and compete against us - we'll just send you all our CRAP business - thats hard to place with poor records or that no one else wants.

I Fear NO 800 # or Geckos nor Cave-Geeks ...

Progressive is one of many great companies. For the independent agency they have little paperwork, excellent claims and customer service and fair commissions. They have recently changed this, the more you produce the more you can make. Also, they have come out with new rates for their preferred company and those rates are excellent. Progressive has partnered with a few homeowners companies to offer homeowner's insurance as well. And yes you can sell Progressive, Safeco, and a few other companies from anywhere, you home included.

And yes you can sell Progressive, Safeco, and a few other companies from anywhere, you home included.
I apologize if I provided incorrect information. It must be state-specific, then. In SC Progressive does not allow home-based agencies since they want the client to be able to walk into your office if they choose to, and they don't want that office to be your home.

They are extremely easy to deal with, and, just like other carriers, can be competitive or not-competitive depending upon the client and the state.

Progressive is a good company. Although not always competitive. You have to know who they cater too.

They are great for younger people with few speeding tickets but nothing else.

They do spend a ton of money on advertising and that is the reason for the somewhat higher premiums. The main thing I don't like is that if you go directly to their website, most people can get it for cheaper. Its like why do you want us to write for you if you have all these commercials wanting people to come directly to your website.

Perfect example:

I had a quote come from Net Quote. I ran the numbers through and Progressive came out the best. I think it was something around $600 for 6 months. I sent the guy an email with the quote, his reply was, "Went directly to Progressive and got it for $500, try another sucker."

Progressive is a good company. Although not always competitive. You have to know who they cater too.

They are great for younger people with few speeding tickets but nothing else.

They do spend a ton of money on advertising and that is the reason for the somewhat higher premiums. The main thing I don't like is that if you go directly to their website, most people can get it for cheaper. Its like why do you want us to write for you if you have all these commercials wanting people to come directly to your website.

Perfect example:

I had a quote come from Net Quote. I ran the numbers through and Progressive came out the best. I think it was something around $600 for 6 months. I sent the guy an email with the quote, his reply was, "Went directly to Progressive and got it for $500, try another sucker."

That makes Progressive a RAT compay. I would make it my life's mission to find their customers better deals with other companies and ONLY leave them with the garbage.

That makes Progressive a RAT compay. I would make it my life's mission to find their customers better deals with other companies and ONLY leave them with the garbage.

Not necessarily. From my understanding, ever since Progressive was sued (and lost) back in the 1990s for allowing different rate structures for the same person, they no longer do that. It could have been that the customer received less coverage, more discounts, etc which brought the rate down.

Try this, quote yourself with an Independent Agent through progressive and then directly on the progressive.com site. The two prices will be different, even with exact same coverage.

Progressive is a growth carrier, they routinely grow thier book, but it costs them alot of money for TV advertising. That is the way they have decided to grow.

They pay Independent Agents the least of any non-captive Auto carrier that I know, around 10% new 8% renew. For agents that have a good PIF count and grow 10-25% a year, they offer a contingency bonus. For my 2007 book with them, I made an extra 1-2% commission after I amortize it out over the year.

Personally I am tired of working for others and just started my own company up. I will be working part tiem from my home at first but I am only appointing carriers that pay 15% new and at least 10-12% renewal and allow me to bundle home/auto. Word of mouth advertising is the best for retention and I am only going to allow paid in full premium or autopay, no payments.

Latest posts

Back