What Will Liberty Mutual Do?

Bob_The_Insurance_Guy

Guru
1000 Post Club
Decatur, Ga.
My daughter got into a car accident last week, and the car was not "driveable", so it was towed. By the time we contacted Liberty Mutual, they told us that a sensor went off in the car, and that they would total it.

We told them that was not acceptable, and that we will be fighting it.

For a couple of days, we did without a rental car. We decided to rent a car yesterday. We heard from Liberty Mutual that it will be early next week before they will get to look at it.

Now...

We've never had an accident while with Liberty Mutual. All of our needs have been roadside assistance, and they have been spectacular. By surfing the net, both before we became a customer, and now, they seem to have great service.

Any recommendations as to the best way to "fight" with them, if need be? Like I said, the only people so far who told us it would be totaled was the Customer Service Department. Noone has seen the car yet, and won't until early next week.

It's been quite a while since we have had a car accident, but as I understand it, the damage must be a certain percentage of the current blue book value for them to total it, and they can't even do that without our permission. In addition to using their appraiser, we were going to bring in an independent shop.

P and C guys, am I on the right track, way off base, or somewhere in the middle.

Why don't you want them to "total" the car?
They will probably give you a check for more than the car was worth.

In all my years of driving, I have never had this happen.

It happened just a couple months ago to one of our clients. Considering the quick decline in auto values recently and the slow to follow book value declines from KBB and edmunds, you can actually make out pretty well.

Just be glad your daughter is safe, take the money and grab a new or slightly used car at a HUGE discount!

Back