When Are You Entitled to Uninsured Motorist Coverage?

ny86

Expert
Hi,

When are you entitled to UM benefits?

I was in an accident in FL but i live in NY.

My bills exceeded the at-fault drivers limits (he was covered upto 100K, my bills are 150K)

I have UM coverage of 25K/50K. Can I claim this for pain and suffering, lost wages, or anything else?

Hi,

My bills exceeded the at-fault drivers limits (he was covered upto 100K, my bills are 150K)

I have UM coverage of 25K/50K. Can I claim this for pain and suffering, lost wages, or anything else?

Sounds like you need a good lawyer.

I agree with the reply above. The OP definitely needs a good lawyer.
(so does the at-fault driver)

Dealing with the insurance company on such an expensive accident
is beyond the capability of most people like us who don't have law
degrees.

I hope the OP gets well soon. :)

Hi,

This claim doesn't qualify for UM benefits. UIM benefits perhaps but not UM benefits.

----------

Yes, definitely consult an unbiased financial expert in this case. Lawyer would be more helpful.

what a goofy answer! :goofy:

a finance guy or lawyer doesn't know insurance like an agent does. just like an agent couldn't give legal advice or tell you what the next hot stock will be.

Last edited:
I think what most people are saying is there is to much unknown to give a reasonable answer to this question. It's going to depend a lot on the state laws of where the accident took place. Then, NY has some peculiar UM laws that I don't even begin to understand.

You will need advice from a person in New York who is intimately familiar with New York law, probably exceeding the knowledge of most agents (this isn't a claim agents deal with frequently).

Hope you have recovered from the injuries!

Dan

You will need advice from a person in New York who is intimately familiar with New York law, probably exceeding the knowledge of most agents (this isn't a claim agents deal with frequently). Dan

Dan, I always thought that when an accident occurs out of state, that the policy automatically converts to the laws in which the accident occurred? So wouldn't the OP need advice from someone who knows Florida law instead of New York?

Dan, I always thought that when an accident occurs out of state, that the policy automatically converts to the laws in which the accident occurred? So wouldn't the OP need advice from someone who knows Florida law instead of New York?

Don't forget we are talking about a New York policy. New York always thinks they know better than everyone else. After all, they decided they had the right to determine compensation for life insurance agents in every state, whether the agent did business in New York or not. Don't be surprised if they also make the coverage follow if the person is in another state.

Don't forget we are talking about a New York policy.

Ha! That reminds me of a conversation I've had before. I had to call a carrier to get clarification on a motorcycle quote I was working in Michigan.....

During our conversation, I said something along the lines of "Michigan has some of the craziest insurance laws I've ever seen"...

She laughed at me and said "your area must not cover New York then, does it?"

touche!

Hi,

UNinsured benefits trigger in the event of an accident involving an uninsured motorist. In your case, they did not have enough BI coverage to cover their end. I'm like folks above, get a good lawyer. Good luck! :)

Back