Why Won't State Farm Issue a No-fault Letter?

pancake

Hi all. I'm shopping around for auto insurance, and a potential provider has informed me that I was charged as an "at fault" based on the way it was entered into the system. My current provider, State Farm, will not issue any letter stating that I am not at fault. As such, I'm getting higher quotes than normal from State Farm competitors.

Background: The incident I was involved in did not have enough evidence of fault one way or the other, but State Farm sides with me. However,
it shows that it was entered in as liability property damage at fault.

When I spoke to my State Farm claims rep, she basically said it's not State Farm policy to release this info as they don't want you to leave. Isn't this illegal? I'm being held to higher rates outside of State Farm even though it's not my fault and State Farm has agreed its not my fault??? It feels like I'm being handcuffed to use State Farm!

Hi all. I'm shopping around for auto insurance, and a potential provider has informed me that I was charged as an "at fault" based on the way it was entered into the system. My current provider, State Farm, will not issue any letter stating that I am not at fault. As such, I'm getting higher quotes than normal from State Farm competitors.

Background: The incident I was involved in did not have enough evidence of fault one way or the other, but State Farm sides with me. However,
it shows that it was entered in as liability property damage at fault.

When I spoke to my State Farm claims rep, she basically said it's not State Farm policy to release this info as they don't want you to leave. Isn't this illegal? I'm being held to higher rates outside of State Farm even though it's not my fault and State Farm has agreed its not my fault??? It feels like I'm being handcuffed to use State Farm!

I had something similar happen to me. I opened my door in a parking lot and some guy ran into it. We never settled who was at fault, so it went down as "both of our faults". Didn't matter to him, though; he didn't take any damage. My insurance company said that they "sided" with my story, but since they couldn't prove one way or another to anyone else, they couldn't help. Covering their asses, smart (for them).

I wouldn't count on their support in your case :(

I'm an independent agent, so I can tell you this from an unbiased point of view.

Whether it was your "fault" or not doesn't actually play a role in how an accident shows up on a CLUE report.

If your insurance company paid out for it (which it sounds like they did, under your property damage limits), you are going to have an at fault accident on your CLUE report. The best way to see exactly what is on that report is to ask State Farm to issue you a Letter of Experience. The Letter of Experience will show all claims you've made with the company, time being with them, etc. This will allow you to move forward and show it as a not at fault if that's how its listed.

State Farm is famous for this type of activity. I have seen it many times in my area.

If you call in to inquire about damage to your car they will open up a claim on your policy even if they don't proceed with the claim.

This will then be listed as claim activity on your loss report and make it harder for you to switch companies if you shop.

Just do what SummerSheep suggested and ask for a letter of experience to assist you moving forward.

Your stuck with this being an at fault accident. As mentioned before. Anytime you have a claim on your policy that pays out property damage, collision, Ned pay, or bodily injury it will go on record as at fault. Only thing to do is wait it out 3-5 years. Don't file claims under 2-3k even if your deductible is $500.00.

Back