Will my Insurance Rates Go Higher if I Hit with a Borrowed Car?

pocik100500

Hello everyone, the questions is simple - will my insurance rates go higher if I hit with a borrowed (rent) car? I have heard if I rent a car with insurance and hit with it, my own insurance rates won't go up and it won't be on my insurance history. Is it true?

Depends, there is no single answer to this.

In general, a minor fender bender with no injuries may not impact your auto rates if its paid for through the rental car company.

On the other hand, if you file a police report (and you may be required to), the accident will show up on your DMV report, just not your CLUE report. Insurance companies will likely ask questions if they see it, though they may or may not for a while.

With an injury (even just going to the doctor and getting checked), it will likely impact your rates.

In my experience, most go unnoticed by insurance companies if paid for by the rental company, but, if its a larger claim that includes damage to other cars or property, it will be far more likely to have an impact.

Dan

If you rent a car and you obtain the insurance from the rental company, the claim will fall on the rental car insurance. Therefore your personal insurance will have a loss claim at all. That is the whole point of acquiring the insurance from the rental company.

Thanks, but now its even more confusing. The situation for example: I rent a car with insurance, hit with it in another car with people. No big car damage, but everyone goes do doctor. It won't be on my insurance history, correct?

thanks, but i am more confused now :D

if for example i slightly hit with the rental car with insurance another car and it will just be small scratch, but people will go to doctors, will this be on my insurance history?

My friends is now in similar situation and he doesnt know what to do

With any kind of accident, it depends on your insurance company. If your carrier feels your responsible for the damage, it can have an effect. If they dont you will probably be ok. Also if the damage is minor regardless of fault you may be fine. Depends on the damage threshold of your state.

thanks, but i am more confused now :D

if for example i slightly hit with the rental car with insurance another car and it will just be small scratch, but people will go to doctors, will this be on my insurance history?

My friends is now in similar situation and he doesnt know what to do

Your insurance will go up if your carrier pays more than $500/$750 in damages after your deductible. if you get the insurance from the rental car company, then that insurance is primary and your own auto insurance is excess. mostly likely the rental car's insurance will pay for everything. so your own carrier will be intact even with the accident. your renewal rate will likely not be affected.

Back