Will State Farm Cancel Me or Should I Pay for Repairs on my Own?

DuchessKate

Am I risking getting canceled by State Farm if I file a claim? Should I just pay it out of my own pocket?

My beautiful car was perfect when I left work Friday night. I went to 1 place and parked where no other vehicles could get near the front passenger corner. Went to 2 places on the way home, with front passenger corner exposed.

Saturday morning, I went out to my car and discovered damage to the front passenger corner. It had to have happened at 1 of the 2 stops Friday night.

Found the part for the front bumper on the manufacturer's website and it's only $250. I realize there will be additional costs for labor and painting, so it will actually be higher than $250.

Should I just pay the whole bill out of my own pocket? I've got a $250 deductible.

I'm worried about getting canceled by State Farm.

I've had my own policy with State Farm for 34 years and had ZERO claims until recently.

* 2010 - I backed into a car that was parked illegally. I tapped her tire, yet she threw a fit and said I caused damage. State Farm paid the claim.

* 2012 - I was hit and my vehicle was totaled by an uninsured driver. State Farm paid me. Then I bought a newer (but not new) car.

* 2013 - I lost control in the snow and totaled the newer car. State Farm paid me.

* 2015 - I lightly bumped my 2014 car into the back bumper of a luxury vehicle. Zero damage to my front bumper. I talked to my agent and asked if I was at risk of being canceled and he said I had the option of paying for her damage out of my own pocket instead of turning it in. Her estimate was $600 so I decided -- even though it was going to be tough -- I would pay it on my own. Next thing I know, State Farm says, "We've already paid her claim and your insurance will go up 10%."

* 2016 - Now we're up to last Friday night with the mystery person who hit my car.

I can't even afford the $250 deductible right now, let only a possible $1,000 to pay for the repairs on my own.

My only options are:

A. Turn it in to insurance and risk having another 10% upcharge or being canceled.

B. Get some freelance work with a goal of paying for repairs ASAP.

Any opinions on whether this puts me in danger of being canceled?

Thanks!

Based on the way you described it, this would be rated as a not at fault accident. It is unlikely they will cancel you for this.

Dan

I have never dealt with state farm but several of my carriers would have cancelled you already. I have had people cancelled even if it was not at fault if they had previous history of claims even a series of small ones, so you never know. But I would not turn it in. I have a back yard mechanic I send people to for things like these.

Back