Wisdom Needed... Car Insurance Massachusetts

MassNasty

Hello All,

My name is Scott, I live in Massachusetts and I'm seeking wisdom in regards to a recent car accident I was involved in. I'll try to make this quick and not to long of a post.
I was hit by a driver backing out of a driveway my car was considered totaled by the insurance company. I was not at fault in the accident however, after meeting with them they made me an offer for my car. As like many people the offer is not enough.
Over the past month I took a loan of a 1,000.00 for some repairs on the vehicle that I still owe. The most recent work was two days prior to the accident.
I refused the offer and need wisdom on what to do next and if there is anything I can even do about their offer. I spoke with them about keeping the car but the payout they want to give me isn't even close to the repair cost needed.
What can I do???
TYVM for any wisdom you can provide me......

1.Talk to a lawyer. A threatening letter may be all it takes. If they don't yield you may have to take them to court. Depending on your state and the amount you are suing for it may be small claims. You also may have to pay for the lawyer up front if he won't work on contingency (which might not be worth it to him/her)
2.Pull up comparable cars on some reputable sites like KBB.com and negotiate from there. If you feel they are not handling things correctly you can contact the dept. of insurance and file a complaint.

I am not a lawyer nor a claims adjuster, but this may help.

talk to several lawyers. You were hit and you are not at fault. You can sue for pain and suffering.The first offer from the insurance company is always low when their client is at fault. They are trying to cut corner because you are trying to negotiate without a lawyer. Get a lawyer and don't be surprised if the offer doubles. I am also in MA, If you message me, I can give you some lawyers.

Most lawyers I know of won't take a property damage only claim. There's just not money to be made in that as far as they are concerned. Unless the offer is significantly different than the private party sale value, there's probably not much to be done.
I worked at a personal injury firm for several years, and trying to convince an adjuster to offer more for a vehicle is a great way to spend half the day for a hundred dollar bump in the offer. I don't know about your area but around here it costs 3-400 dollars for a lawyer to handle your property damage.
I don't know your situation, so if they are simply way off, by all means do whatever it takes to get a fair offer, please don't think I am trying to discourage you.
Typically any disparity on the property damage is made up for in the bi claim, but for you to be of any interest to a lawyer you need to have had some kind of medical attention within the first few days after the wreck, if not immediately. After a week or so, it will be harder to get one to take your case.
I wish you the best, and hope you get this resolved quickly and fairly.

I am a MA agent. If your vehicle is above average condition and you recently spent money on it, all you need to do is prove it. Send ALL of your receipts to the carrier to prove your case. If it is an older car and you were just fixing things that were wearing out, you may not get it all. The carrier will always low ball a figure. They throw out an average price at first. There is generally always wiggle room. You just need to prove your case. Some suggested a lawyer. They will steal about 33% of any settlement. I would go this alone at first. Then you can lawyer up later if need be. The company has to show you at least 3 vehicles on the market to prove their offer. Good luck

Hello Again All,

TYVM for the wisdom that you have shared.... I'll post back after the nightmare is over

Back