Young Driver Needs Some Answers

Fasteddie4004

Hi my name is Ed and i need some help as to f this is possible, i believe it is but not exactly sure...

If I got full coverage insurance on the car i'm going to be buying, i get quotes between $400-500 a month! Obviously i knew it was going to be around these numbers. So i was wondering if this method is possible.

If My Father got full coverage for the same car i'm going to be buying, his quotes are around $115-150 a month.

Ok now my big question is!

If my father puts Insurance on MY CAR, without putting me on the policy, will my car and me be covered? What i have been told is insurance agencies ask you if people under the age of 25 will be driving the vehicle and you can say yes, again without putting the person on the policy. Again, MY CAR, His Insurance, will i and the car be covered if i am driving and get into an accident without me being on the policy?

Thank You so much for the answers ahead of time, right now this question is keeping me from buying the car...:1mad:

Re: Young Driver Needs Some Answers.

Ed,

I would stay away from a car where you need Collision and Comprehensive. It sounds like you are about 18. Insurance rates really don't go down until your about 21. 25 is when they really go down. Also if you have the loan or title in your name, you must be listed on the policy. This is a requirement of any car loan company.

Also according to the law all frequent drivers and drivers in the same household must be disclosed to the insurance company. At this point when the drivers are disclosed, they must either be included on the policy, or excluded. If you do anything else, it could be insurance fraud. Which is a felony.

If you did include your self on you dads policy, at this point you should receive a multi-car and multi-driver discount. Also one thing that will help your cost is a good student discount. With most companies this is good until your 21. I would also try to carry the highest deductibles as possible. Collision is going to be the most expensive coverage on your policy.

Hopes this helps.

Do you live in dad's household? Almost every company now REQUIRES every household member to be listed on the auto policy, even if you have your own car with a different insurance carrier. If your not listed and at the time of the accident you are a household member, your claim will be denied (claim not covered). You and your parents could be sued and lose their assets.

Ok now my big question is!

If my father puts Insurance on MY CAR, without putting me on the policy, will my car and me be covered? What i have been told is insurance agencies ask you if people under the age of 25 will be driving the vehicle and you can say yes, again without putting the person on the policy. Again, MY CAR, His Insurance, will i and the car be covered if i am driving and get into an accident without me being on the policy?:1mad:

It really varies from company to company. Most companies I deal with will want to Add or Exclude anyone over the age of 18 with or without a driver's license.

If your dad intentionally does not list you on the policy and you get into an accident with your or your dad's car. Expect to be disappointed. I have seen companies paid for accidents involving non listed drivers, but almost always they won't pay for you and your car.

It needs to be disclosed if anyone is driving age or older in the household that holds a drivers license. You won't beat the system.

I strongly recommend that any 18 year old get a "beater." You'll only need liability and it won't be that big of a deal if the car gets some scratches and dents.

Everyone has a different system. When my son gets his license he I'll buy him any car on the lot....for $5,000.

Back