Child Health Coverage

jimmyruss

I am retired and my old employer is covering my health needs until I reach 65. My wife has been covering our two kids, one 24 and the other 19 but will be retiring also in oct. 2015 and will only be covered herself by her employer until she is 65. That will leave no insurance coverage for my two unemployed, living at home kids. Could someone offer some recommendations in getting coverage for our kids? thanks

Link to a parked domain and another post pushing dental.

Child only coverage is available from CA carriers. Problem is finding an agent willing to write the plan for $8 commission. You might do just as well talking to the folks at healthcare.gov.

Put them through the Covered CA system, and they will be given Medical Options such as IEHP, Healthnet, or whatever is offered in your area. I think Blue Shield is even getting into the program this year. Loss of coverage is a qualified event so you can do this outside open enrollment.

If you earn too much to qualify, don't claim them as dependents and they can file separately for taxes and qualify on their own based on the low income.

Back