I Lied to my Insurance...

ifoundwaldo

Hello,

A while back I crashed my motorcycle. I was riding on the freeway and was coming up to an interchange. I had a Police Officer tailgating me while he ran my plates so I was more focused on him than how soon my turn was coming up. I went into the turn too fast and my front wheel slipped out. Totaled my bike and I had minor injuries. The cop wrote an informational report since he saw the whole thing, but I was not violating any laws.

Now here's where I became even more of a dumbass. A guy at a shop told me I could avoid getting a point on my driving record if I told my auto insurance that I hit an animal. So I told my insurance i ran over a rat and that's why my front wheel slipped. I didn't say anything about the cop and his report. My insurance covered my bike.

A few months later my health insurance company contacts me asking if my injuries were related to an accident. I told them the truth, cop was following me, I went into the turn to fast, front wheel slipped, minor injuries no one else involved. I didn't want to lie again even though I know they are going to contact my motorcycle insurance company and get their report.

My question is to you, what is going to be the repercussions of me being a dumbass. I still got a point on my driving record so my lie did not benefit me in any way. But, I still did lie to my motorcycle insurance company. They are going to find out as well as my health insurance. The informational report will corroborate with the story I gave to my health insurance, and under the conditions of what actually happened my motorcycle still would have been covered.

Hello,

A while back I crashed my motorcycle. I was riding on the freeway and was coming up to an interchange. I had a Police Officer tailgating me while he ran my plates so I was more focused on him than how soon my turn was coming up. I went into the turn too fast and my front wheel slipped out. Totaled my bike and I had minor injuries. The cop wrote an informational report since he saw the whole thing, but I was not violating any laws.

Now here's where I became even more of a dumbass. A guy at a shop told me I could avoid getting a point on my driving record if I told my auto insurance that I hit an animal. So I told my insurance i ran over a rat and that's why my front wheel slipped. I didn't say anything about the cop and his report. My insurance covered my bike.

A few months later my health insurance company contacts me asking if my injuries were related to an accident. I told them the truth, cop was following me, I went into the turn to fast, front wheel slipped, minor injuries no one else involved. I didn't want to lie again even though I know they are going to contact my motorcycle insurance company and get their report.

My question is to you, what is going to be the repercussions of me being a dumbass. I still got a point on my driving record so my lie did not benefit me in any way. But, I still did lie to my motorcycle insurance company. They are going to find out as well as my health insurance. The informational report will corroborate with the story I gave to my health insurance, and under the conditions of what actually happened my motorcycle still would have been covered.

It's real simple...you committed insurance fraud and you're going to prison! Better get your ducks in a row before you go.:mad:

I can't condone lying to the insurance carrier, but as you said, you didn't benefit from it anyway.

Outside of the 6 years in prison (assuming time off for good behaviour), canceling of all credit cards and mortgages, and total revocation of all driving privileges for 39 seconds, not much will happen, based on what you described.

Only thing that might happen is if you had a different deductible for comp vs collision. Insurance company will rerate the claim, if they didn't make it collision already. Odds are, they already rated it as a collision claim anyway.

Dan

Hello,

prison-cell-hands-bars.jpg

Hello,

What will happen as for a correction I don't know. But I recently found out the hard way that hitting an animal falls under comprehensive and having a wreck not involving an animal is collision.

In my case it saved me $500 and was not a chargeable offense on my insurance. I hit a deer. I have a $500 comprehensive deductible. Collision I have $1000.

I figured it would be collision since I was driving but they said that's comprehensive.

So, as someone else said, you may have to pay the difference between the two deductibles if there is one?

What will happen as for a correction I don't know. But I recently found out the hard way that hitting an animal falls under comprehensive and having a wreck not involving an animal is collision.

In my case it saved me $500 and was not a chargeable offense on my insurance. I hit a deer. I have a $500 comprehensive deductible. Collision I have $1000.

I figured it would be collision since I was driving but they said that's comprehensive.

So, as someone else said, you may have to pay the difference between the two deductibles if there is one?

People have totaled there cars hitting a deer. What happened to the deer?:err:

Thanks, that makes sense. I'll have to look at my policy.

Different deductibles are not common and on motorcycle policies they are less common.

If you can have split deductibles, its almost always in your favor to drop your comprehensive deductible as low as you can go. The premium difference usually is negligible.

Dan

People have totaled there cars hitting a deer. What happened to the deer?:err:

It committed suicide. Small deer. Just jumped in front of me. Didn't even have time to hit the brakes. I ran over it more than hitting it.

Did just under $2000 damage to my car.

The people that lived by where I hit asked if they could have the deer. Like I cared.

I suppose it ended up in their freezer?

Back