Direct Mail Marketing

gmcclain

Has anyone ever used Western Reserve direct mail program? If so what was your response rate, and how many appointments did you get? Thanks.

I'm not too familiar with Western Reserve's direct mail program, but I will say in order for your direct mail piece to be seen, it needs to be creative enough.

Do you have your own list? If so, we can set up a direct mail program for you, if you are interested in an marketing agency handling that for you.

I'm not too familiar with Western Reserve's direct mail program, but I will say in order for your direct mail piece to be seen, it needs to be creative enough.

Do you have your own list? If so, we can set up a direct mail program for you, if you are interested in an marketing agency handling that for you.

Did you just join this forum to generate business?

Did you just join this forum to generate business?

I joined this forum to generate business and help insurance agents do the same. I happen to have a good deal of experience with insurance and marketing so I figure'd I'd help out.

If I have the advice to give I will and if someone wants to get a marketing project completed, I will help out with that as well.

It's a two way street.

There are a few areas that impact the response you will have on your direct mail regardless of the company you use:

List - Is your data relevant and accurate enough so you can include it as variable fields in your mail piece.

Piece - Can you incorporate your data into the piece in a way that makes it more than a "hey call me" offer.

Timing - The day your mail hits the mailbox of your prospect makes a huge difference in response (this is driven by whether you use standard or first class postage and the day you select your mail to hit the mail stream).

I'm not a big fan of direct mail. The response rate is usually not that great. I still encourage everyone to test out every possible marketing technique and compare ROI and choose the most effective. A direct mail campaign needs to speak loudly. You need a headline that promises that you can guarantee they'll save on their auto insurance with you over their current provider or you'll pay them $25 or something like that. Think about the big companies and their TV ads like Progressive and how they show how customers can save big. In the end, direct marketing can be effective but it can cost more because of over-promising.

With web marketing and more targeting marketing practices, you can reach your audience more effectively and get a better response rate. SEM and PPC and SEO for your website will get more qualified leads than any direct mail campaign could ever.

Direct mail marketing is effective only when the following apply:

1. Verify Quantities - The lead company you're using sends out the number of cards they said they would send out (ask for a USPS report listing the pieces of mail sent for your order) - a lot of companies will say their sending more than they really are
2. Market Exclusivity - How long will the lead company wait to sell the target GEO again?
3. Market Saturation - How many other agents/lead companies/tele-marketers etc. have already marketed that GEO?
4. COST $$ - Does the ROI make sense - not all return % are the same - ask the vendor what their average response for 2009 was.
5. Creativity of Card - Does the card work? If you'd like to see something else on the card/mailer, talk to your marketing agent... ask him for suggestions, make them work for your business.

There are a few areas that impact the response you will have on your direct mail regardless of the company you use:

List - Is your data relevant and accurate enough so you can include it as variable fields in your mail piece.

Piece - Can you incorporate your data into the piece in a way that makes it more than a "hey call me" offer.

Timing - The day your mail hits the mailbox of your prospect makes a huge difference in response (this is driven by whether you use standard or first class postage and the day you select your mail to hit the mail stream).

Discounting holidays, what is the BEST and the WORSE days for the mail piece to hit the mailboxes?

Back