Direct Mail Response 4 Med Supp After Aep

20-40 leads on 1,000 mailers...now that might be worth it!I live under your front door, and did a lead drop in November that returned over 3%. However, the BRC was for Medicare Advantage, not Med Supps. I would not waste the money for lead drops for Med Supps when you can call from a scrubbed list. Listen to Frank... Cold calling is not allowed for MAs, and you have no choice in that market.

OK---what is "BRC"?

Sometimes when I go out to see the T65s they have already been sold something. Many times I noticed they agreed to an appointment with me because they feel confused about what they have. They also don't understand why they don't have an ID card or enrollment kit.

I have replaced a high percentage of these especially when they have been sold something and it is several months before their eligiblity date...that is for MED SUPPS. So far I have done the replacing but I am sure it could happen to me...so when I do sell something I am "all over" them at this point being proactive about questions, comments, everything hoping they won't replace me too.

Sometimes when I go out to see the T65s they have already been sold something. Many times I noticed they agreed to an appointment with me because they feel confused about what they have. They also don't understand why they don't have an ID card or enrollment kit.

I have replaced a high percentage of these especially when they have been sold something and it is several months before their eligiblity date...that is for MED SUPPS. So far I have done the replacing but I am sure it could happen to me...so when I do sell something I am "all over" them at this point being proactive about questions, comments, everything hoping they won't replace me too.

That was a lesson I had to learn early on when I was first dealing with the senior market about MA and/or med sups. Even in simple replacement situations, or what should have been simple situations, the people had never been educated as to how things worked and what options were available to them to had been available.

First thing I had to do was go get educated myself because I had been certified and sent out in the field to sell/close and had not been educated properly for the task.

Most of it was self taught by screwing up. I really messed up some people in the beginning. Fortunately, I was able to go to all those people later and correct things.

Once I changed to educating the clients from selling them, I did much more selling and I've never had a ned sup replaced. Now, I don't do a huge volume of med sups, but the ones I do stay on the books.

If you educate them as opposed to just trying to sell them a policy you won't have a lot of worries about losing them.

The most frequent comment I receive from a new client is, "Thank you for explaining it to me so I can understand it. No one has ever done that before."

I've never ordered return mailers. I've been in the med-supp business since 1987. I order T65's and call them, if they're not on the DNC list.

I just ordered T65's about a month ago for areas within 50-70 miles of my office. I got back 1139 T65's for January through June 2011. I've written one MAPD off of them(made $403.00), and just had a lady call(T65 in March), that I had left a message with yesterday. I'm meeting her tomorrow.

My cost for the T65's..under $60.00!

I met that lady at Burger King the next day and wrote her a med-supp and PDP plan.

I called some T65's again yesterday and had one that called me back earlier this afternoon. I might have another sale or 2(fingers crossed).

Ordering T65's and calling them is profitable, plus the cost is inexpensive. Give it a shot!

I buy a list of names people turning 65....then I cold call them...that way they can not tell me no on the phone. They meet me and see that I am sincere and I try to set the appointment up for a later date....then I only bring in the Medicare and you 2011 handbook and go thru that with them to show the options they have and the new changes with Medicare. This seems to work best for me after 23 years in the business. Good luck!

I agree that mailing that far in advance of them turning 65, before they get slammed with information and have agents hammering them over the phone, will probably get a higher response rate of return.

However, more important than the rate of return is the number of apps that result from that return. In my experience of marketing to those T-65 is that they are still "shopping" at that point and may not be ready to commit to a purchase that far in advance. They are still "kicking tires".

I do realize that you may have a different approach than the one I have used each time I have attempted to market to them. I do sell them insurance when I have marketed to them but it is not as easy as contacting people who already have a Med Supp. Plus, people over 65 are not getting inundated with phone calls on a daily basis from agents across he country who are trying to sell them a policy.

I guess I'm like a lot of others, although I enjoy what I do, I don't want to work any harder than necessary to make money.

Good points - I did my 1st mailer and got a 4.8% return. So far, the written business is 1 at this time! I have a potential couple - but am competing against a relative, so more than likely I will lose out there. In January, I made 4 sales off of a list I bought - then I have played around with trying to train people to make the calls for me... I may go back to just making the calls myself! Frank, I think that you may be onto something by calling 67 yr olds - I am just not sure about replacing a Med Supp in SFLA is solid as MA plans are King!!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
20-40 leads on 1,000 mailers...now that might be worth it!I live under your front door, and did a lead drop in November that returned over 3%. However, the BRC was for Medicare Advantage, not Med Supps. I would not waste the money for lead drops for Med Supps when you can call from a scrubbed list. Listen to Frank... Cold calling is not allowed for MAs, and you have no choice in that market.

OK---what is "BRC"?

But it is allowed for Med Supp - & Med Supp can lead to...

Last edited:
I think this issue is serious ,so you should contact to your service provider
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
yes, this technique will always help us

Last edited:
Back