DM Campaign: County or Zip Code?

what's best for an FE drop?

If you are dropping in Rural areas, then it depends on how much time you want to spend on counts and research. All my area is rural. I mail counties most of the time, but I also keep up with which zip codes within those counties get the best return. The best return I get is from the zip with the smallest population. It just depends on how much analysis you choose to do. Over all it does not make a ton of difference, but since I work part time and sometimes when I want to concentrate on the very best return, I will mail by the zip code. If you have a DM company that will break down all the info for you then I would take advantage and do that. But if you do it on your own, you may want to mail by county and keep up with your own response rates and the locale of those. May take a few months to get a good picture of where it works best.

Last edited:
thx for response.
I received county data from the vendor.
demographic age 50-78 10k-50k
counts were 31,611. it is separated out by zip.
I think I need to narrow out the demographic a bit more. maybe like 62-75. and then focus on just certain areas?

thx for response.
I received county data from the vendor.
demographic age 50-78 10k-50k
counts were 31,611. it is separated out by zip.
I think I need to narrow out the demographic a bit more. maybe like 62-75. and then focus on just certain areas?

62 - 75 age bracket would be a good idea. Also consider mailing to females only to start. DM to Females will get a slightly higher return. Those demographics would be be a good place to start because the return should be a bit higher. Then you can widen the field.

thx for response. I received county data from the vendor. demographic age 50-78 10k-50k counts were 31,611. it is separated out by zip. I think I need to narrow out the demographic a bit more. maybe like 62-75. and then focus on just certain areas?

You definitely want to go 60+ on FE mailings. The 50-59 age bracket will get a LOT of responders that are a huge waste of time. They are harder to reach and they all have (at least they are convinced they have) insurance through an employer, term insurance with some time left on it, etc.

When you combine this with their friends haven't started dropping off yet, they are WAY fewer sales per lead.

Once people are in their 60's they've attended a few funerals of friends and/or siblings and this whole subject is much more real and urgent with them.

If you need to get the most income per dollar spent mailing definitely mail over age 60.

age 62-75 cut the counts in half.
I also like the idea of female only. see what that comes back at and go from there.
many thanks

age 62-75 cut the counts in half.
I also like the idea of female only. see what that comes back at and go from there.
many thanks

I would never limit myself to half of the population by mailing to only females. That's one of the more ridiculous things I've heard in the FE business.

As for the over 60 crowd, yes, probably a bit better. But I have sold a ton of insurance to the 50 to 60 age group.

Of course if I could get leads for the same price and get only over 60 ages then I would do it.

Yeah JD I hear ya. I certainly agree. Im thinking of only limiting just for now to a sample area and then adjust from there. thx for the response.

I did some mailing that were female only. Didn't seem to be anything special sales-wise come from them.

Earlier this month I noticed on a real good sales day that on all three appointments the males were the buyers and the two that had wives the wives absolutely would not have bought if it wasn't for the husbands.made me re-think that strategy.

I might have to try a male only mailer next.

I would tighten up the age bracket to 60-75, all households with incomes greater than $10k, and less than $50k.

And I would ONLY drop rural counties or "Small Town America."

However, the biggest take away is the tightening of the demographic -- that will make a tremendous difference for all the reasons already mentioned.

Back