Lumpy Mail / Imprinted Gifts

Alston

Guru
1000 Post Club
Is anyone sending imprinted gifts to prospects and clients? I'm looking for ideas.

I give away nice pens when I meet clients F-T-F, but I don't want the hassle and expense of mailing pens.

So far my best idea is mailing magnifiers to my MA and Medigap clients/prospects:

https://www.inkhead.com/wallet-magnifier-with-case/17847/

What items have you had success with for the senior market?

What items work for other markets?

Is anyone sending imprinted gifts to prospects and clients? I'm looking for ideas.

I give away nice pens when I meet clients F-T-F, but I don't want the hassle and expense of mailing pens.

So far my best idea is mailing magnifiers to my MA and Medigap clients/prospects:

4th of July cards are great!

• The Greatest Generation appreciates the patriotism
  • You stand out, because how many 4th of July cards do you get?
  • Its 90 days prior to open enrollment
  • Last year, I think I got a 15% response ("Thanks for the card!")
  • And I send them out to Small Businesses, U65 and O65

These are all lumpy so I am not sure this is much help, but

When I was still working, a software developer my company used had
a) a really nice staple remover. It was about the length of a pen, had a metal blade to slip under staples and a spring loaded piece of plastic over the metal to keep the pulled staples on the blade but back away from the working end. I managed to acquire two, one for work and one for home, and when the work one broke I had a bit of trouble getting it replaced.

b) a more common item from other sources too, a good quality paper clip with a strong refrigerator magnet. I see three on my refrigerator right now from 3 different sources and I think one other one has a stronger spring, but the software company's is a very nice one.

3) A third item which I have to find somewhere to mooch now because mine broke, is a letteropener. (I cant remember if the software guy had those too.) Those plastic things with a piece of razor blade in them. Those are a great tool but when you are cheap and try to use them for a long time, either the plastic points break off or the blades get dull. The one we are making do with right now also has a magnet on the back so we can store it on the refrigerator if we wish.

Those are the three free promo items which I have personally found most useful over the years.

Pens are a dime a dozen. I have some financial institution ones for daily use. If somebody whose business I cared about gave me a good quality eversharp pencil, I would probably keep that accessible to use. (My pen and pencil attitudes are probably not the norm.)

-------------------------------------------------------

(personally I have found magnifying reading glasses to be more useful than a plastic magnifier strip. In the absence of any consumer feedback, I don't know how much actual "in front of consumer" benefit you are getting from that particular device.)

Last edited:
Speaking as a "Senior". I will tell you $100 bills get our attention, are appreciated and are easy for you to mail...Problem solved!

I will add this, one of the most popular lumpy mailer companies that I see promoted around here, 3dmailresults, has an "insurance-agent" package for $697, that is just a template version of all the other sets he sells for the same price. Not worth it imo...

These are all lumpy so I am not sure this is much help, but

When I was still working, a software developer my company used had
a) a really nice staple remover. It was about the length of a pen, had a metal blade to slip under staples and a spring loaded piece of plastic over the metal to keep the pulled staples on the blade but back away from the working end. I managed to acquire two, one for work and one for home, and when the work one broke I had a bit of trouble getting it replaced.

b) a more common item from other sources too, a good quality paper clip with a strong refrigerator magnet. I see three on my refrigerator right now from 3 different sources and I think one other one has a stronger spring, but the software company's is a very nice one.

3) A third item which I have to find somewhere to mooch now because mine broke, is a letteropener. (I cant remember if the software guy had those too.) Those plastic things with a piece of razor blade in them. Those are a great tool but when you are cheap and try to use them for a long time, either the plastic points break off or the blades get dull. The one we are making do with right now also has a magnet on the back so we can store it on the refrigerator if we wish.

Those are the three free promo items which I have personally found most useful over the years.

Pens are a dime a dozen. I have some financial institution ones for daily use. If somebody whose business I cared about gave me a good quality eversharp pencil, I would probably keep that accessible to use. (My pen and pencil attitudes are probably not the norm.)

-------------------------------------------------------

(personally I have found magnifying reading glasses to be more useful than a plastic magnifier strip. In the absence of any consumer feedback, I don't know how much actual "in front of consumer" benefit you are getting from that particular device.)

I like the letter opener idea. It is a little heavy, but it can be mailed in a regular envelope. I might use that idea.

I agree with you about pens. I give away metal ones. Plastic ones get tossed and don't make right statement about my business.

----------

Something is millennials have in common as well ;)

I'd send you a small stack, if it weren't for the CMS regs.

You could be a secret shopper.

Very sorry.

I have mailed many different items over the years. Including calculators, cups and leather binders. Talk about lumpy and expensive. (not very bright)

The most successful in getting my piece opened at a reasonable price was Emory Boards. Flat, very cheap and the person could feel it in the envelope. I used them when I was doing orphan campaigns. One side had the insurance company name (credibility and authority) the other had my contact information.

Refrigerator magnet calendars and "In case of emergency" magnet cards did well with seniors. The advantages of those are. They fit in a #10 envelope, they do not cost extra to mail, they have a limited shelf life, they are designed to be displayed useful and not salesy. With a nice color laser printer they can be personalized.

I was just about to suggest magnets. If its nice enough some people will actually put it on their refrigerator. I knew a financial planner who would put tax info on magnets along with his contact info. Stuff like the max IRA contributions, cap gains rate, ira deadlines, etc. and usually a "tip" of some kind. They were nice magnets, the flexible type, but thick and high quality. People could tell there was a thick magnet inside, so Im guessing most got opened.

Back