Mailing Your Own DM?

Cokey30

Expert
Im pretty new to the insurance business and Ive read that a lot of agents still make a good living off of using DM, but its seems as if even the ones that make good money are always battling with how much it cost to buy leads. So has anyone ever tried to do their own DM campaign instead of purchasing it from a lead house, and if so what were the results? Is it hard, or more expensive perhaps ?why is purchasing directly from a mailhouse better? do they have access to secret data that know one else does ? Id love feed back on this thanks.

Im pretty new to the insurance business and Ive read that a lot of agents still make a good living off of using DM, but its seems as if even the ones that make good money are always battling with how much it cost to buy leads. So has anyone ever tried to do their own DM campaign instead of purchasing it from a lead house, and if so what were the results? Is it hard, or more expensive perhaps ?why is purchasing directly from a mailhouse better? do they have access to secret data that know one else does ? Id love feed back on this thanks.

The average mailhouse will charge less per 1000 than it will cost to mail your own (supplies, data lists, postage and your own PO Box), PLUS the mailhouse will save you all the time it takes to prepare your own mailings.

The "secret data" is very easy and cheap to get, but direct mail is a volume business; companies are willing to take jobs on razor thin margins so the only time you really want to be looking at your own DM is if you're trying something very specific. I know some agents do it and do well, but no sense in reinventing the wheel.

I find that when I do my own direct mail, leads are pretty much layups. The downside is that they are limited in number as compared to the number of leads that I would get from a mail house...but you have to really work those and only a small percentage pan out.

note - DM for med sup biz

Latest posts

Back