Radio Ads

Depending on your time zone, Glenn Beck may be too early for seniors. Have to look at the age group/day part breakdown. Rush Limbaugh is prime for them. Like others have said, it doesn't really work for direct response in this market.

Think about how often you hear SelectQuote ads on the radio, and then how often your hear SelectQuote Senior ads.

Birdman,

If you got 30 hits on your website, maybe the problem is with the website/landing page.

Do you have enough visitors to justify doing a re-targeting campaign? Never have done one myself but it makes a lot of sense for your visitors to see your ad pop up after they leave your site.

I do agree radio is best for branding and not for making the phone ring.

Never had done a re-targeting campaign...not sure what that is really. In my experience with my current clientele...most of them don't even have computers. Of the 30% or so that do, either it's broke/not working/don't know how to use it. That leaves me with about 5%-10% that actually use and understand it. Of that small group only about 3% understand and feel comfortable surfing the web. If I'm going to target seniors then I would likely need to spend a ton of money in marketing to certain age groups only in the states that I'm licensed. I may be wrong but I can't quite foresee that panning out well. But I'm willing to consider any options.

I had a radio show briefly last year on a Business station. Spent $2,500 total on an hour per week plus 10 radio commercials per week.

It was a complete waste of money. Don't do it...

I had a radio show briefly last year on a Business station. Spent $2,500 total on an hour per week plus 10 radio commercials per week.

It was a complete waste of money. Don't do it...

I did a radio show in a medium small town for an hour before Rush and had some success. I also did a show for a very big area on a sports station and sold one annuity to a poor couple. The second show had a lot more listeners but it was the wrong kind.

I know a couple guys that do a radio show on Saturdays on the big station here in town and do really good business just off the show BUT the guy came from the media world, great radio voice, etc.

We have a live case study in our private community, where an agent is advertising on his local radio sports talk show and is getting good results.

The talk show hosts mention him during their live broadcasts and he gets commercial time as well. Here's an example of one of those commercials (he has a few recordings in the case study)

If you can find the right relationship where the listener base is loyal in your local market, it's lucrative. Especially if done medium to long term.

I worked for a short time in the Cable TV Industry where I produced local TV ads. Local Cable TV ads (at-least than) were VERY affordable. We are talking like $20 a spot.. and you promise to do 100 spots.

Maybe you could go in with a couple of other agents and produce a commercial.. than you can each use that same commercial in your market.. OR sometimes you can buy an already made commercial and they will customize the text/V.O. for you.

Just a suggestion :)

We have a live case study in our private community, where an agent is advertising on his local radio sports talk show and is getting good results.

The talk show hosts mention him during their live broadcasts and he gets commercial time as well. Here's an example of one of those commercials (he has a few recordings in the case study)

If you can find the right relationship where the listener base is loyal in your local market, it's lucrative. Especially if done medium to long term.

Funny. That is the same station I was on. After we went off they tried to get us back. I said the only way it would work is if Walt Deptula was doing the ads but that we didn't have the business to handle that kind of set up. I hear the ads as they started about a month or two ago. Goood to see they are working.

I have had both a radio show, 1 hour during drive time and done radio ads. If your expectations are that you are going to get business from the radio presence, then you will fail. If it is part of your marketing plan and you do some research on ad impressions via radio and print, then it can be worth the money. It will absolutely fail if that is your only source of marketing.

I have had both a radio show, 1 hour during drive time and done radio ads. If your expectations are that you are going to get business from the radio presence, then you will fail. If it is part of your marketing plan and you do some research on ad impressions via radio and print, then it can be worth the money. It will absolutely fail if that is your only source of marketing.

I totally agree. I didn't get a single phone call on the ads, but in my ad I mentioned my website. I double checked the stats for visits to the website during the months that the ad ran and it really boosted visits significantly. I didn't have some grand marketing plan when I started the ad campaign. I mistakenly thought if I do a good ad during peak hours then people will call me. The ad ran for 100 days but did not get any calls. I take that back I did get one phone call from a guy trying to recruit me for some multi level marketing thing for prepaid legal service. I made another mistake by not building a good website. I believe that if the site were nicer and more professional looking then I would have gotten more phone calls. I agree that radio ads are only a small part of a bigger overall marketing plan that often costs much higher than most one man band insurance agents can afford. It almost needs to be a program that is funded long term by a medium sized IMO/FMO with a good web presence. For any agents reading this and contemplating doing an ad for just themselves, go ahead and try it but don't expect much if anything. You could easily spend $2,000 and not get any phone calls, but you may drive traffic to your website.

Not necessarily. I had one that didn't fail and there is an account of an ad campaign that is working. Just because something you did failed doesn't mean everyone else will.

Back