Starting a Direct Mail Campaign....

dallas

I'm starting a direct mail campaign and am thinking about some of the choices that I have in my approach. The two biggest in my mind are:

A. Whether to mail the prospect a single letter, and then move to somebody else hoping that the low hanging fruit type will respond OR trying to ripen said fruit with a few more letters consisting of both educational type material and explanation of services, etc. I'm leaning towards the first option.

B. What to include in the letter. I'm imagining that I would put down the standard explanation of the business that I'm in -Life Insurance- , a little bit about NYL, availability for speaking at seminars, my mission ( to advise the client so that they can make better financial decisions), and I'll probably invite them to take a look at my website and if interested to give me a call.

I can get high quality leads inexpensively b/c I'm paying $80 to be added on to a coworkers hoovers acct. So, I can definitely target the middle and upper class without any problem at all. Does this approach sound about right?

A big waste of time - although, I am sure NYL is loving the free advertising!!
Life insurance is becoming a commodity, just look on the internet. I have a decent sized VUL policy with a friend which took me years to get. Thank God it fell in my lap!!

We did a homeshow about a month ago... NYL was there but their annuities suck!! The people they had manning the both, one was in the biz 3 weeks, while the other maybe 4 months... I felt so sorry for those two.

Sounds like a big waste of money.

Last edited:
Tips For A Successful Direct Mail Campaign

It has often been said that the success of a direct mail campaign can be broken down into three primary components:

1. The mailing list or target audience
2. The offer or incentive for the customer to buy the product
3. The creative package or communication message conveyed in the overall package

Experts in the field of direct mail have gone further to say that 40% of a campaign's effectiveness is driven by the mailing list, 40% by the offer, and 20% from the creative package.

Agree completely with that statement. Good list = better return

Message/Teaser help the open rate...but you need people who are hungry if you're selling hamburgers:1wink:

It has often been said that the success of a direct mail campaign can be broken down into three primary components:

3. The creative package or communication message conveyed in the overall package

Experts in the field of direct mail have gone further to say that 40% of a campaign's effectiveness is driven by the mailing list, 40% by the offer, and 20% from the creative package.

Keep It Simple!
Be Direct!

True....but you forgot a 4th element; Repetition. The more a consumer sees your name (or your company's name), the more they trust you as a reputable source regardless of whether or not they have used your services in the past or know anyone who has used your services. I have a printing business on the side and always recommend people do either a postcard blast of 4 different postcards every two weeks for 8 weeks or do a different postcard every 3 months for a year. Once the consumer recognizes your name, they will be more likely to trust you and, therefore, purchase from you. Should work for letters too, if that's what you prefer.
Best of luck! :)

Sure, blast away with the mailers twice a week for 8 weeks and see how much you're spending.

Cheapest way to get in front of people is to use an autodialer.....but I doubt NYL will allow you to do that.

If you mail them something (one thing), go by the house and introduce yourself afterward. That ensures you getting in front of them. Leave a business card magnet and I bet they'll put it on the fridge (if they like you).

Phone and Face to Face/Door to Door combined with a good mailer (now and then) works. Dripping mail all the time is hugely expensive. Once you gain rapport, and their email address, drip emails to them once or week or so and send them an email newsletter. Of course, ask permission or else they will think you're spamming them.

Back