Who Do You Use for Direct Mail Leads?

I'll have to remember this thread, some good info in here there is. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. :GEEK:

I'm experimenting right now (aren't we all?) :D

I'm using myself and my wife.

Why?

Because when I use myself and my wife I know three things:

(1) I know where the list is coming from (do you think that is important?)
- side note: I can also edit the list. Do you think B. Johnson likes getting your mail? No. He/she doesn't. But Barbara Johnson doesn't throw the mail away as quickly.

(2) I know exactly when the mail gets to the post office (and I get a nice coffee along the way).

(3) I can easily do customized sequential mailings to the same people, as long as I target at least 200+ names/addresses.

I can send 100 letters to T65's, insert my business card, and send it 4+ times in a row over a 3-4 week period. Will they begin to know my name? Will they have 4 of my cards sitting around?

I hope so.

At the same time, I can target a different market. Perhaps a life market - young families. I don't have to do 1,000 for each market, I can split things up the way I like it for my business.

I like the flexibility and the control.

Try getting that type of a quality system from a "mailing house."

What are my costs?
To print up 250 letters costs next to nothing on a good laser. And it takes a few minutes tops. Also, to print my 250 envelopes on the laser isn't that bad, but it takes a little longer than the letters. Everything is mail merged, no labels or stickers. Imprint, return address, and address is all printed right on the envelope.
We stuff the envelopes while talking or watching tv in the evening. It doesn't feel like "work."

To mail - $.26 per piece. I mailed 239 this morning for $62.14.

Okay, I'm slow so bear with me.

So you do bulk mail or presort right?

Is there a software program to do this or do you have a meter machine or what to get the .26 mailing discount.

Teach me how to do it.

Basically, I have a really nice local post-office that is never busy. Small town. Good post-master who was willing to help me understand what needed to be done.

I purchased a Bulk Mail Permit and a Business Reply Mail permit. Each of these are good for 1 year at a time. After I purchased the Bulk Mail Permit, they give me a number (no. 6) and I now have an "imprint." This is what goes on the stamp part of the envelope.

I mail locally in the Columbus area, and I get a rate of $.26 per piece.

I don't have a software program or a meter machine. I don't need either of those - at least they haven't told me that I needed them.

Hope that helps.

Basically, I have a really nice local post-office that is never busy. Small town. Good post-master who was willing to help me understand what needed to be done.

I purchased a Bulk Mail Permit and a Business Reply Mail permit. Each of these are good for 1 year at a time. After I purchased the Bulk Mail Permit, they give me a number (no. 6) and I now have an "imprint." This is what goes on the stamp part of the envelope.

I mail locally in the Columbus area, and I get a rate of $.26 per piece.

I don't have a software program or a meter machine. I don't need either of those - at least they haven't told me that I needed them.

Hope that helps.

I've done it this way a few times, exactly how you are doing it, but I would do about 1,000 or so a month. Lets just say I did it for 3 months and it was a pain in the ass.

After that, I realized that with the postage of .26 per, factor in ink, envelope and paper and you will be right around .36 per piece. When I found a mail house to do it for .36 and I still get a 2%-3% response, it was a no brainer. I went from spending all my nights stuffing envelopes to typing 1 email a month to send out my cards, all while spending the same amount

I've done it this way a few times, exactly how you are doing it, but I would do about 1,000 or so a month. Lets just say I did it for 3 months and it was a pain in the ass.

After that, I realized that with the postage of .26 per, factor in ink, envelope and paper and you will be right around .36 per piece. When I found a mail house to do it for .36 and I still get a 2%-3% response, it was a no brainer. I went from spending all my nights stuffing envelopes to typing 1 email a month to send out my cards, all while spending the same amount

I'll still do 1,000. But, I'll do 250 4xs+ over 4 weeks...

Also, if I used ink it would cost more. But, I use toner. Did you mean ink or toner?

I have been using direct mail service for my business since long now and I have to say it is most affordable way for advertising of business.

I used to stuff and mail my own letters. I saw it the same way, I would just plop down in front of the TV on Sunday nights and stuff 250 envelopes.

I even bought an automatic letter folder.

I did a lot of good with it. But now I use mail houses for all my mass mailings. I only self mail my warm follow up letters now.

Self mailing works when you are on a tight budget.

I use Midlantic Marketing, they are local and charge $0.36 per 1k I believe. But we order 5k at a time so it may be discounted. We get them back in 10 days.

I also use needalead but damn, I sent them out 3 weeks ago and haven't got 1 card in yet. Just gonna stick with midlantic

how do I find Midlantic Marketing (google shows an automotive company)

They are in Daytona beach. You wont get that same deal. Since then they went up to .39 per and we had to get our own PO Box for returns. Just use someone like leadconcepts.com
They do a good job IMO. and I've tried quite a few

Latest posts

Back