5 Yrs of Med Record for 3 Mos

I can see why the disability insurance forum is near the bottom! It's a frustrating piece to get written. I have a client who is 55, chews, takes a high blood pressure med, and is 265. He wants to replace a little less than half of his monthly salary for a 3 mos benefit period. They want 5 years of medical records now!

Ladeemelie said:
I can see why the disability insurance forum is near the bottom! It's a frustrating piece to get written. I have a client who is 55, chews, takes a high blood pressure med, and is 265. He wants to replace a little less than half of his monthly salary for a 3 mos benefit period. They want 5 years of medical records now!

Who wants this? .....................

MoO is the one who wants this

Kinda stuck as I can't think of another carrier offering a 3 month benefit period for individuals. Its the annoying part of DI...I would love to lead with DI for blue collar but it has a higher decline rate.

Disability is ideal for prospects who would qualify preferred or better for life insurance. Impaired risk and DI do not mesh well. Had one declined last week that was approved for medical insurance two days prior! Still think I can write it, I pre screen with the carriers before writing anything that is not clean.

DI is probably the hardest personal insurance to write. The person has to be perfect to begin with, and if they're perfect health many don't see the need. Then you get someone who has missed work, even for a short period of time, who sees the need, but now can't make it out of underwriting.

I would love to write more good DI (not the sh ite stuff thanks, I know the difference.) policies, but how often must you beat your head against the wall to learn there are different things to sell?

There is no other carrier, to my knowledge, that writes individualshort-term disability besides MOO. That said, you might wish to suggest a30-day wait and 1-year benefit period. I know it does not do the samething, but get the client to save a few dollars in an account and self-insurethe real short-term. You'll be doing him more good than harm.

Back