Assurity's DI

I have been thinking about applying to get some for awhile now. I have a buddy at Northwestern who presented the Assurity product to me. Apparently Northwestern doesn't like to underwrite self employed insurance agents.

I guess Assurity wants 2 years of tax returns, etc. I guess we are looking at another product today that has easier underwriting that can offer a "young professional" rate.

NWM's DI policy sucks anyway, at least compared to the other top-tier DI companies like Guardian/Standard/Principal/MetLife/Mass Mutual/Union Central.

Guardian has the best DI policy on the market, so I'd start with them. They have a quick-issue program that does not require any financial documentation or medical exam as long as the total monthly benefit plus half the FIO amount is less than $5,000/month. If you have been in business at least 5 years, make over $100k, and have at least one professional designation, they will bump you from an occupation class 4 up to a class 5 too.

Add the FIO, residual, and COLA riders to the base coverage at the very least. Catastrophic, graded lifetime, retirement protection, and lump sum benefits aren't necessary, but provide extra protection if the extra premium isn't a big deal.

Back