Best DI for White Collar?

Hi All

"Best" is a relative term. As others have commented, it depends on many factors.

First, there are variations of product and carriers availability from state to state. So, even within the same company, the policy in one state may be "better" than the same carriers policy in another state. This makes it difficult to consistently say which is "Best" by carrier.

Second, it depends on the clients needs. One carrier may offer provisions and options that others don't. "White Collar" has variations within the occupational class which some carriers may not write everything that is deemed "White Collar"

Third, customer/producer service. Within national marketing companies, you will hear "great service" to "poor service" within the same carrier from different people.

Lasty, it often takes more than one carrier to provide you, the producer, with the "best". Usually the "best" is not a carrier but a brokerage outlet who specializes in Disability insurance and can offer multiple carriers to address the numerous situations that can occur.

Just a few thoughts to ponder

It is pretty clear that a DI policy should always be based on the client's personal circumstances. To point out something new that may help, consider whether the white collar worker is a fee for service professional.

Berkshire/Guardian has a great Residual disability rider that should be considered with high regard for fee for service professionals. The first year benefits are higher than anyone else and their recovery benefits are payable for the full benefit period. I'm yet to find a residual benefit that matches/beats that.

In terms of non can and true own occ, it is difficult to claim one company to be the best because lots of carriers offer that option. Although Guardian/Berkshire adds a nice touch by including medical specialty language in their definition.

What makes their DI policy good?

Colonial life's DI is from Unium which is the # 1 DI in the country. They are also # 1 in service. Apart from that if you compare apples to apples, most DI is similar, price, prouduct. Personally I like Colonial life better than any other Employee benefit company, even Aflac, --"which there corporate office is only 60 miles from my home."
C L also has a new Educator Disability that compliments the educators state plan. And I don't know any E B C that has good commissions either. Do you?

God bless

Colonial life's DI is from Unium which is the # 1 DI in the country. They are also # 1 in service. Apart from that if you compare apples to apples, most DI is similar, price, prouduct. Personally I like Colonial life better than any other Employee benefit company, even Aflac, --"which there corporate office is only 60 miles from my home."
C L also has a new Educator Disability that compliments the educators state plan. And I don't know any E B C that has good commissions either. Do you?

God bless

You are aware we are talking about white collar DI, for professionals? This isn't about a worksite product. Does Colonial offer an own occ definition, and if so for how long? Does Colonial provide for partial and residual benefits? How long do benefits last under the policy?

Honestly, Aflac does not even offer a product that can begin to compete with MetLife, Guardian, MassMutual, or even Northwestern Mutual.

You are aware we are talking about white collar DI, for professionals? This isn't about a worksite product. Does Colonial offer an own occ definition, and if so for how long? Does Colonial provide for partial and residual benefits? How long do benefits last under the policy?

Honestly, Aflac does not even offer a product that can begin to compete with MetLife, Guardian, MassMutual, or even Northwestern Mutual.

No,theirs is worksite marketing. Short term 24 Months max

No,theirs is worksite marketing. Short term 24 Months max

Exactly. A white collar professional should not need DI to start for at least 90 days. Now, whether that person actually has the discipline to have an emergency fund that large is another story. But Colonial and Aflac have no business in that market.

I would agree that as a general statement Mass and Berkshire are good choices, but dont forget about Union Central, they have a great white collar oriented DI product.
Ohio National isnt bad either, I wouldnt consider it completely white collar, but its a very versitle product in my opinion. However I have been having some servicing issues with Ohio National lately. Not sure what is happening internaly over there, but all of a sudden ive noticed a change...

For those who fit the market Berkshire/Guardian is looking for (mostly highly skilled/trained professionals and business owners of small to large corporations) there is no better provider.

They have a true own occ product, no rider, no exlusions, no switching after a certain number of years.

They are non can guaranteed renewable.

They have the best residual

They have the best waiver of premium provision (waived for six months after recovery)

They have a recovery benefit that lasts for the entire length of the policy (and residual rider isn't needed for this)

They are the only company I'm aware of who will give the insured the increases from a COLA rider after recover (everyone else will offer to sell you the increase at your attained age).

They use an accumulation period to satisfy the elimination period so you do not have to be unable to work for a continuous period of time.

They have a great waiver of elimination period provision that is not just limited to reoccurent disabilities.

They have a lifetime benefit rider available (Met Life is the only other company that offers this)

They pay extra for rehabilitation and workplace modification to get you back to work if at all possible

And...they actually pay claims! ;)

Back