CI or DI for Blue Collar?

shooter

Guru
100+ Post Club
If you do any business with blue collar types.
You know DI isn't an easy sale, or for me it hasn't been.
Maybe I need to take a class.

Which leads to my question.
Would CI be an easier sale, and would it do the job
for people in blue collar occ.?

Really depending on the amount of CI, I am leaning
toward showing it now in the place of a DI product
for blue collar.

Big question? Which CI, and then a stand alone or a rider?

Shooter

CI is much cheaper than DI with my company. I usually bundle them together. I sell on behalf of the Credit Union I work for so it's a little different.

What state are you in?

Two different products designed to fill different needs. The answer is to work with the client to determine what they need (and want) and then sell the product that best fills that need.

I've had a number of blue-collar workers interested in DI. I've had a few of them apply. I've placed 0 of those policies.

Yes, I think DI for Blue Collar is pretty much a waste of time, unless they approach you and have high income. I placed one recently, but his income was higher than some of the Drs. I have as clients.

I have placed quite a few i ndividual DI policies over the years for a variety of blue collar professions. Assurity and Illinios Mutual. It is tough underwriting, and you do not want to sell this to people who can not afford health insurance. This is certainly not a "to age 65 own oc" crowd, so you have to structure the plans accordingly. Mutual of Omaha accident only plan can provide some short term relief too. Coming up with tax returns can also be a challenge for these people...lots of unreported income too. I'd starve if this was my focus.....as i am a LTC person mainly, but it is good to be able to offer it when appropriate.

Of course if i had a nickle for every little girl who wanted this for maternity leave, i would have lots of nickles to pay somarco.

Last edited:
I have placed quite a few i ndividual DI policies over the years for a variety of blue collar professions. Assurity and Illinios Mutual. It is tough underwriting, and you do not want to sell this to people who can not afford health insurance.

Yes, you're right, over time, you can accumulate a good number of these clients, without much effort. It may be possible to make a living targeting them as individuals, I'd never say never on anything regarding health and life insurance.

Back