Disability and Sick Leave

Spiderman555

Do short term disability policies make you use up your sick leave before they pay out? It seems like they replace "earned income" and it seems to me that "earned income" wouldn't be sick leave.

My concern is, why have short term disability if you have TONS of sick leave?

Thanks in advance!

Do short term disability policies make you use up your sick leave before they pay out? It seems like they replace "earned income" and it seems to me that "earned income" wouldn't be sick leave.

Thanks in advance!

If you have tons of sick leave you may little to no need for short term disability or may benefit by increasing the elimination period. I spend a lot of time with public school teachers who very easily can have 200 sick days and a full school year is 185 days.

You may want to evaluate your exposure to a long term disability need.

I appreciate the reply. That's a very good point, if you have plenty of sick leave... that is quite possibly all the short term 'insurance' you need.

Still curious if there are any policies out there that make you use all of your leave before you receive any benefit.

I don't know of any that require it, but there maybe carriers that won't write certain occupations because of the historical high amount of sick time (teachers, government employees, etc) The other thing to consider, is how much sick time a person might use before becoming "disabled." A co-worked used 28 days of sick time before her Dr diagnosed her and put her on DI.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the group contact. Some do, some do not.

Sick leave or vacation time can be used until the disability benefit starts. It's something to consider when planning.

Back